High rpm hp&torque vs High rpm hp low rpm torque

tatertot235

Question

I am new to this forum and still relatively fresh to the vehicle world. My confusion comes with hp and trq numbers. Why is torque peaking at a lower rpm than at a higher rpm desirable more towards towing application. Because I thought with torque peaking higher you have more usable torque before it drops off?? Again any would be great cause I just don't seem to understand this right now. Thanks a lot.

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That isn't the motor's fault, it's the tuning. They have PLENTY of torque down low. But the computer won't let you have it. My 2006 has less "HP" than your pickup, but anything more than 50% throttle from a stop and it'll spin the tires. If I floor it, it will take forever to hook up. Cause it's tuned. :)

Honestly I don't mind having the torque in the 3-4k range. Yes it's fun to have it down low, but sometimes in low traction situations or backing up it's nice to NOT have a ton of power in the low RPM's, less "jumpy" if you will.

Diesels just have power everywhere, lol.

My 5.3 with bb tune and intake will not spin em off the line or break stand even with 3.73. Not even close in the rain!! On dry pavement i can spin em easy as hell if im turning. I can do amazing donuts just no brake stands or strait peel outs

Yeah this has been one of my pet peeves for decades. It's also one of the things I hate about my truck - having a torque peak which, seat of the pants guessing, is close to 4k rpm. I should be a diesel owner - I LOVE torque. Nothing beats the feeling of just touching the pedal, and having the feeling of the hand of God mashing you into the seat! :)

That's another thing I miss about the older cars - the ability to fly out of the hole with authority. My truck won't even break the tires free on dry pavement if I stomp it to the boards until it hits 3.500 rpm or higher. It really sucks towing heavy loads on the hills around here.

If I gave my '72 El Camino HALF pedal too quick, right off idle it would melt the tires for as long as I held the throttle there - a full throttle launch was impossible. My '94 K1500, bone stock, used to routinely dust new CARS off the line. I've been in my share of semi-road rage incidents where the guy next to me was legitimately trying to beat me off the line, and I slammed the door in his face! :lol: Not enough power to break the tires free, but just enough to launch that thing out of the hole like a rocketship when you put your foot into it. Had nothing on top though ... so it's a trade-off. I want it all .... so I'm going to have to find myself a 10 year old or older diesel. :D

0 to 60 is real world driving. The V 10 pulled better because of more Hp and higher RPM. The TQ was the same. Even if I shifted the v10 at Max diesel RPMs the v10 would still out run the diesel because of more hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must live in a different world to the rest of us. I don't recall the last time I performed a 0 to 100 (we have km/h here) run. One day this will sink in, and you will finally understand where HP comes from, and how it relates to real world driving on public streets.

What rear end gears were in these two trucks? What transmission ratios? How about stall speed on the torque converter? Those three items have a large effect on how a vehicle accelerates.

I guess all those magazine and car ads on TV are just for me. Rear gears were the same. I don't recall last time I was at the track that TQ was the topic. They were both 5 speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back then I went to gear venders to solve the problem, you couldn't down shift to 3rd after 45 MPH to maintain speed on inclines, gear venders gave me 3rd high so I didn't slow down on hills. Where with the V 10 I could down shift to 3rd up to 65. So was it HP or TQ that made the V 10 able to maintain speed on hills. Or was it just a drop in gear. By what is being said if the diesel could reach the RPMs the V10 could the HP would be the same as the V10 at the higher RPM.

Yeah this has been one of my pet peeves for decades. It's also one of the things I hate about my truck - having a torque peak which, seat of the pants guessing, is close to 4k rpm. I should be a diesel owner - I LOVE torque. Nothing beats the feeling of just touching the pedal, and having the feeling of the hand of God mashing you into the seat! :)

That's another thing I miss about the older cars - the ability to fly out of the hole with authority. My truck won't even break the tires free on dry pavement if I stomp it to the boards until it hits 3.500 rpm or higher. It really sucks towing heavy loads on the hills around here.

That isn't the motor's fault, it's the tuning. They have PLENTY of torque down low. But the computer won't let you have it. My 2006 has less "HP" than your pickup, but anything more than 50% throttle from a stop and it'll spin the tires. If I floor it, it will take forever to hook up. Cause it's tuned. :)

Honestly I don't mind having the torque in the 3-4k range. Yes it's fun to have it down low, but sometimes in low traction situations or backing up it's nice to NOT have a ton of power in the low RPM's, less "jumpy" if you will.

My 2010 Sierra SL 2wd 4.8 with 4.10 gears will not spin the tires, even with the BlackBear tune. It does pull better after the tune, but spinning the tires on dry pavement is not going to happen.

Ever notice diesels rarely talk HP? Almost all advertise TQ.

Hp doesn't mean squat, peak torque down low is what you want in a truck...then play with TC strategy to make the most efficient shift points to the ground. That's what an allison does until about 50mph, the torque converter keeps the engine rpm close to that peak torque range until it hits 50 and locks solid.

I have a locker box in mine tho that will lock solid even at a stand still, it will pull thru the brakes if you hit the switch at the lights hahah not dangerous at all

Archived