37K on 2012 5.3L GMC Sierra

I just picked my truck up from the local dealer. She has 37,400 on the clock now & just ran out of the 3YR/36K bumper to bumper warranty.

They were doing an oil consuption test for me under original 36k warranty.

I noticed 18K ago I was a little low (maybe 1/2 a qrt) on oil during one of my 6K oil changes. I do my own oil changes & use Mobile one with a GM oil filter.

Then 12K ago I noticed I was close to a quart low. Then 6K ago I had to add a quart & the dipstick still said I was 1/2 qrt low!!

Any hoo, after my dealer documented I was using roughly 1/2 quart every 500miles, on my last oil change, GM had them tear down the 5.3L motor.

So 8 new pistons, a bearing set, a new ring set, many seals, new head bolts, new left valve cover, coolant/oil, etc later here I go again. The tech wanted to see me when I picked my GMC up today. He kept all the old, original parts until I came to get my truck before he turned them in (GM warranty thing).

He knew I ran Mobile 1 oil & advised me to stop starting with this new overhaul. He told me some of the AFM 5.3L engines like this oil & some do not.

I have never heard this before!!

I looked at a box with my old pistons in them & they looked like they had 95K+ on them & poor maintence!! Burnt up cooked oil all over them, side, top, skirts EVERYWHERE!! It was crazy looking!!

I religiously changed my oil every 6K and added a can of SeaFoam to my gas tank. Up until this last year I had been running PURE unleaded in my truck too. It's hard to find it in this area now.

I wish I had taken a pic of these nasty pistons. I guess I was in such shock at what I saw.

Has anyone else here been told "Mobile 1" oil is bad on the 2007.5-2013 GM trucks with AFM? :nonod:

What did he suggest you use? I don't see why it would matter what oil it is if its getting pulled into the deactivated cylinders when AFM is on and being burned.

I would suggest you get the AFM turned off until GM finds out a real fix instead of GM blaming everything on mobil 1.

I'm not a fan of Mobil 1 oil. I have been using Pennzoil Ultra since 1000 miles. I changed it again at 5000, and I am at 8200 now. I will change it at 10k. It does not consume oil. I shut off the AFM at 1000 miles. This thing runs great, and it should with the low miles.

What did he suggest you use? I don't see why it would matter what oil it is if its getting pulled into the deactivated cylinders when AFM is on and being burned.

I would suggest you get the AFM turned off until GM finds out a real fix instead of GM blaming everything on mobil 1.

GM's Dexos blend.... :happysad:

I drive this 2012 GMC Sierra in town 80% of the time. I use my manual select 5th gear religiously, since my speeds are mostly under 50MPH.

Out on the by-ways & highways (50+ mph) I let AFM do it's thing in 6th gear...

I would be more suspicous of the SeaFoam than the oil. Don't our owners manuals say that no fuel additives are suggested or needed? Mobil 1 is well proven and the only approved oil of many exotics like Porsche.

Dan

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of Mobil 1 oil. I have been using Pennzoil Ultra since 1000 miles. I changed it again at 5000, and I am at 8200 now. I will change it at 10k. It does not consume oil. I shut off the AFM at 1000 miles. This thing runs great, and it should with the low miles.

Never a big Mobil1 guy but then again my world has always been Valvolene products... I would think that any issue you have internally would not be subject to Mobil1 but more so toward the Seafoam in every tank. I can see a can once or twice a year for the injector cleaning but not every tank.

With a fresh motor for the most part, my suggestion would be to get a tune and disable the AFM all together.. Many guys love the Range plug and play but there are issues with them as well. I have yet to see a bad thing with Black Bear Performance... My 2 cents. I have a Black Bear tune and would do it again in a heart beat!

I think I'll go back with Mobile 1 then. It is still a GM "approved oil".

If anything, I still have a 100K powertrain warranty.

Was looking over at Bob is the oil guy site for confirmation of who supplied the oil for factory fills.

While this is not exactly proof that GM uses Mobil as a factory fill, it is as close as I could find.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2209934

Archived