Crappy/dealer repair

Just after I received my 14 1500 I noticed a 1/4 x 3/8 spot in drivers door were the paint had chipped off. Well i guess its a chip, its sort of jagged looking with rough edges. Dealer said it probably happened in transit since it had such a long way to get to NC. Finally got in to get repaired after begging for a loaner car. I get the truck back home and take a look at my paint fix. The guy just "dabbed" some touch up paint on it. No sanding to make it blend in, just slapped some paint on it. Am I being anal on this? I mean damn! Thanks for any input. I know I have left myself wide open on this one.lol

Obviously this is not the repair you expected - and I agree with you - the paint repair should have been an professional repair. There are times when the quality of the repair is more important than the actual repair. You bought a new vehicle - it had a repairable flaw which you asked the dealer to fix - the dealer agreed to fix it (so far you are pleased with the dealer) - the service repair person says 'this is a nit picking request so I'll just do a sloppy half ass fix' and the service writer never bothers to inspect the 'repair', or even worst says that's a shitty repair but maybe the owner will not notice - now you have lost all respect and trust for the dealer.

No matter what the repair, it should be done properly and professionally! Businesses that do sloppy work lose customers. Businesses that do professional work get 'word of mouth' recommendations and grow their business.

First document your repair request (only the facts and no anger/feelings) - On such a day i picked up my new ...... I noticed ...... I asked the service writer (name) to repair ..... He agreed. On (date/time) I got my vehicle back and the 'repair' appears to only be some touch-up paint crudely brushed on - far from a professional repair and certainly not what I expected. See pictures attached.

Talk to the Service Manager and if you're not satisfied, call GM customer service (the ph. no. is listed in several other postings) and calmly explain your issues. I bet after talking to the Service Manager or GM Service that you will have the 'repair' repaired to your satisfaction.

p.s. - if you do need to talk to a GM Customer Service person, don't forget to say (write down the things you want to say) that your local service writer acknowledged the paint flaw and said it probably happened during shipping and that he agreed to fix the problem. This makes the paint problem an acceptable warranty repair issue.

Chips and scratches are completely on you once you leave the lot. Anything they do is pure curtesy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have to agree and in case you forgot, one of those papers they make you sign says you inspected the vehicle and accept it as is condition and any issues that arise after the sale are to be handled through warranty and paint chips are not covered under warranty.

hate to say it but its your own fault here, you are SOL for accepting the truck without inspecting it first so its all on you and anything they do to fix it is just being nice and not because they have to. had you found it before the sale you could have had it "professionally" fixed before accepting delivery of it

I would not accept this "repair" as well but it all depends on how cool your dealer is. I had a similar situation where I took my truck back to my dealer for a spray-on bed liner, etc which were add-ons as part of my new build delivery. Several days after I picked my truck up, I noticed a chip of similar size on the bottom edge of the tailgate. I figured the chip happened when the tailgate was removed during the spray-on bed liner application. I went back to the dealer and they repainted the entire tailgate, no hassles whatsoever. It looks good as new. I am very happy they didn't do the touchup repair as my OCD would have resulted in my staring at that spot every time I looked at my truck. I hope your dealer does the right thing.

p.s. - if you do need to talk to a GM Customer Service person, don't forget to say (write down the things you want to say) that your local service writer acknowledged the paint flaw and said it probably happened during shipping and that he agreed to fix the problem. This makes the paint problem an acceptable warranty repair issue.

Thanks for the input. I wonder how the warranty defines paint chip and paint f%@#up on gm's part. It doesn't look like something hit or bumped in to it. Looks like a flaw of some sort in the paint. But given the location on the door edge were its at- up in the air. I will let yall know how it plays out. Thanks

Chips and scratches are completely on you once you leave the lot. Anything they do is pure curtesy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a dealer take/buy back a brand new truck I bought due to undisclosed bodywork on the truck. I picked the truck up while it was raining out, but a couple of hours later it cleared up and I saw the horrible bondo job. I brought it back to the dealer and initially agreed to let them repair it, they blamed another dealer for the damage. They told me which body shop would do the work, when it would be ready, etc. When they called to say they needed a the truck another couple of days, I decided to go check up on what the issue was. The dealer ended up sending it to a different shop then I agreed to and then sent it to the agreed to shop when the first place caused up even more damage to the truck. I gave them the option to take the truck back or I would sue them for fraud/lemon law. After a day, they decided to take it back and order a brand new truck. What I learned from this experience was that a dealer was always pick the cheapest option first. Since I lived 60 miles away from the dealer, they never expected me to check on the truck in person and catch them in their lies. I drove the truck for a week while they scheduled the repair. The shittiest thing about this was as soon as I returned the keys, the truck appeared as a brand new truck in their inventory. The were able to cancel the paperwork so it could be resold as a new vehicle.

Vehicles get damaged in transport all the time. The transport companies can also send them out for repair as well or the receiving dealer will attempt a repair. As long as the vehicle has not been titled it can be sold as new damage or not. My wifes previous car a 2009 Lincoln MKZ had something dropped on the hood during transport. our dealer bought the car at auction with no miles on it after Ford had it repaired, it was then sold to us as a used vehicle even though it had zero miles on it.

If dealer said it probably happened in transit then it's on GM. They need ti fix it to your satisfaction.

no its on the shipping company the dealer used and they file a claim against them for it and the trucking companies insurance pays for it but the dealer no longer owns it so they cant file a claim even if theyhad some way to prove it arrived like that on the lot.

its just a big song and dance of the blame game

factories blame the truck drivers, the truck drivers blame the dealers, the dealers blame the truck drivers, the truck drivers blame the factory and 1 2 3 start the dance again, factories blame the truck drivers, the truck drivers blame the dealers, the dealers blame the truck drivers, the truck drivers blame the factory and 1 2 3 start the dance again ......

no one is going to stand up any say "oh yep we did that its our fault"

it doesn't matter anyway because as soon as you signed that paper accepting the vehicle, it says right on that paper that you agree you inspected the vehicle and accept it in its as-is condition as being acceptable to you so after you did that, it doesn't matter if you found paint was missing, you agreed it was acceptable to you that way.

yes its a PITA to stop in the middle of making the deal and signing the paperwork but make sure of what you are signing and before you sign that you inspected the truck tell them you want to wait to give it a final "delivery" inspection after its readied for you to leave with. this is something few people do but you better go do it and do a very good inspection. this step is just as important as the test drive because dings dents and paint chips can happen when they prep vehicles.

as soon as you sign that paper its yours so now anything done is being done out of kindness and good customer relations and none of it is required or in any way obligated to be done for you.

Keakar - if dealer said happened in transit than they should and surely will make it right. They s x

well it goes into that same category as ups damaging something you bought, the seller isn't at fault and neither is the manufacturer but the shippers insurance covers the damage and pays that to the seller who is supposed to cover the buyers refund or repair on it.

the catch here that keeps getting overlooked is its 100% totally his and he signed a paper accepting it as-is (we all do) at time of purchase, so to come back after the fact its too late for that since the transaction has already been completed and "nobody" can file a damage claim at this point. hence the statement I keep making that's its all a good will effort by the dealer to make you happy and nothing you can force anyone to do.

now had this been reported to the dealer before he signed the paper accepting delivery of the vehicle then its a completely different story but that is not the case here.

Archived