Rocker Panel Chip Guard Paint Consistency

Let me start by saying that I love my truck and I come from the viewpoint that no vehicle is absolutely perfect. At least I am trying to maintain that stance because I'm OCD about enough things in life that I don't need to be that way about my truck. (No offense to those folks who are very picky about their truck :))

I have a 2014 5.3L, 5.5' CC with bronze metallic alloy paint and I have come to the conclusion that simply the paint on the these trucks are delicate (thin, brittle take your pick). So far I have about four small chips on the door edges from the kiddos opening them into things. Will be solving this shortly with some touch up paint, door edge guards and general education of the kiddos.

However, I do have a question for you folks that have the chip guard paint on your rocker panels. How firm/hard is your paint in these areas? The reason I am asking is that the chip guard paint on my truck is soft enough that I can make a dent in it with reasonable pressure from a fingernail. What I am trying to get a handle on is whether or not this is a by design to absorb the impact from being hit by gravel and stuff or it is a flaw that I need to discuss with the dealer.

I'm at about 4,500 miles right now and I am trying to get an idea of any and all things I might need to talk to the service department about when I take it in. At the moment there are a couple areas of undercoating that need to be resprayed from where it looks like the frame was picked up. As well the rear axle case needs a bit of rust reformer and some coverage.

Anyways just wanted to know folks thoughts on the issue of the rocker panel paint before I decided whether or not t stress out.

Whew! Thanks for the reassurance! Now if I can just get those areas on the underside taken care I should be good to go. I've already talked with the dealer about the underside of the truck and they had said it wouldn't be a problem for them to take care of. Just waiting for the oil change to come up to head to the dealer.

Archived