Backup Camera with OEM Small Screen

The easiest way I found to add a backup camera on my 2011, was a GM unit that replaced the OnStar mirror with one that added a small video screen in it and auto dimming features. Not sure if any 2014 owners have done it yet. Check out Camera Source who advertises on the forum.

I did see the LT package that uses the small screen (I04 screen) with and without the backup camera. You would need to get the wiring for the power supply to a camera in the tailgate area. You would need wiring, camera and new tailgate opener cover with camera cut out. Next you would have to check if the camera could be plugged into your small screen. Wiring diagram etc. I don't know if the Chevy garage will have to reprogram the system. You should check with the Chevy garage to see if this is possible. It should not cost that much if it could be done.

I put in the backup camera through the On-Star mirror and this works fine. The system came with a new On-Star auto dimming mirror, all the wiring, backup camera and new tail gate opener with the camera cut out. This cost more because you had to purchase a new On-Star mirror (with backup camera) but if you could use the small screen (bigger view) it should be cheaper. You should be able to get all the parts from Chevy.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158705-installing-rear-view-mirror-backup-camera-with-onstar-system/

I bought my truck as a condition of the dealer installing a backup camera.

It's due to be installed this week, they had to order the parts.

Salesman promised me it'd go in the rearview, they had to replace the onstar mirror with a reverse camera onstar mirror he told me.

Will post pics when it's done if you want.

Kit's about $1000 installed they told me. I didn't get a part number unfortunately. I can ask when I drop it off though.

I came from a 2012 Camaro that had a reverse camera in the mirror. IMO, you'll like it a lot more than looking down at the dash when reversing. I loved mine and told them I would not buy any truck at any price unless the reverse camera was part of the deal.

I bought my truck as a condition of the dealer installing a backup camera.

It's due to be installed this week, they had to order the parts.

Salesman promised me it'd go in the rearview, they had to replace the onstar mirror with a reverse camera onstar mirror he told me.

Will post pics when it's done if you want.

Kit's about $1000 installed they told me. I didn't get a part number unfortunately. I can ask when I drop it off though.

I came from a 2012 Camaro that had a reverse camera in the mirror. IMO, you'll like it a lot more than looking down at the dash when reversing. I loved mine and told them I would not buy any truck at any price unless the reverse camera was part of the deal.

I purchased the complete kit for $591.50 total and the dealer quoted me a price to install the rear view (On-Star) camera would be $220 total. The mirror is also automatic dimming as well which is great! I like mine very much.

See this topic for details.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158705-installing-rear-view-mirror-backup-camera-with-onstar-system/

I came from a 2012 Camaro that had a reverse camera in the mirror. IMO, you'll like it a lot more than looking down at the dash when reversing.

IMO, the reverse image in the mirror is way too small, the dash screen is much better. And you're not really looking down at it, it's basically the same level as your exterior side view mirrors that you should also be using as your backing up.

IMO, the reverse image in the mirror is way too small, the dash screen is much better. And you're not really looking down at it, it's basically the same level as your exterior side view mirrors that you should also be using as your backing up.

I'm sure I could get used to it. I know when I was looking at trucks this was a point of discomfort for me though, as I was used to checking side mirrors and then up to the center for the reverse. It is pretty small, I'll give it that. I like it though.

Also one thing to note I do not believe those of us who get the after-install kit are going to have the lines overlayed over the image to show where we're going. You're also not going to have the seat vibration for your proximity detection. (something that I personally welcome. I'd rather have audible beeps than the vibration.)

I have the rear view mirror (3 1/2" screen) back up camera and the image is fine. It has the backup lines etc. and works great. I find it better in the mirror because there is a split and a one place area to look when backing up. Maybe bigger is better but the mirror screen is very clear as well. I have no trouble with it and don't know what you are talking about.

Brandmotion-Silverado-14-600x250.jpg

^sorry I didn't realize they actually increased the size of the mirror image screen in recent years. I first saw them in 2009 when I bought my F150 and they seemed so small, definitely smaller than 3.5 inches. I ended up getting the factory nav back then and so the reverse image showed up in the larger nav screen. So I've been used to the larger screen since then. Did a quick search and apparently Ford made theirs a little bigger starting in 2011. Also a coworker has a Honda Pilot (09?) and I saw his reverse mirror image, seems smaller than 3.5 inches.

I have the rear view mirror (3 1/2" screen) back up camera and the image is fine. It has the backup lines etc. and works great. I find it better in the mirror because there is a split and a one place area to look when backing up. Maybe bigger is better but the mirror screen is very clear as well. I have no trouble with it and don't know what you are talking about.

Just went through this exercise myself, trying to decide whether to spend the ~$1K for the mirror retrofit in my 2011 or buy the backup camera with a new truck wrapped around it. Went with option 2. I spent a few minutes at the dealer looking at the mirror screens and then the 4.5" and 8" screens in the 2014 truck. It was no contest.

I think the diversity of opinion on the 3" mirror v. console display may have something to do with the age/eyes of the driver. Since I'm an old fart, I found that the 3" mirror display was just too small and too close for me to focus on properly with my normal distance-vision glasses. The 8" display worked a whole lot better for me. But I can see how someone could easily prefer one over the other.

What I suggest to anyone trying to make this decision is to go sit in a few trucks that have a variety of displays and see which YOU prefer. I don't think anyone's recommendation on a forum is going to be nearly as useful as seeing for yourself.

Agree Lawnmower2020. I made the mistake of not thinking the backup camera was important to me when I bought my 2011 since I had never had one before in other trucks. That is until I almost backed over a ledge in a parking lot. Put one of the mirror based kits in the next week. And made sure my 2014 has one...A BIG ONE!

Archived