Vibration and Coolant Smell

Hi guys!

New issues popping up lately. First of which is the coolant smell after shutting the truck off and walking around the front, after a trip(distance doesn't matter as long as the truck gets up to temp). I have found no visual evidence of leaks, which worries me. Coolant reservoir was full and just above the HOT line. I can only smell it every so often, it's not everyday or every trip.

Second issue, started this morning. At ~60%+ acceleration an odd vibration is coming from under the truck. If I had to guess, I'd say it was around the rear driveshaft area. It almost sounds like a groaning or a binding noise. The noise first occurred when backing out a driveway this morning while slightly turning. Now it's under acceleration as described above, when merging into highway traffic or overtaking a car, or taking off from a light hard.

The vibration is not the same as the 75mph vibration, which the truck already has on occasion.

I'm going to drive another day or so to gather a bit more "data" on when the vibration occurs and where it might come from, as well as a visual inspection underneath it.

Also MPG have fallen about 1-1.5MPG(17.5 to 16.1) as of late. Temps are falling, but it's not that cold out yet.

Anyone ever had these issues? Any ideas?

Truck has 23.2k miles on it, I've had for 6k miles so far. It's showing 19% oil life, so a service appt will be happening soon.

Yes I had that same sound a moaning/griding shuddering sound when I slowed down on off ramp from highway while turning up grade through light.

Mine was definitely coming from driveshaft/rearend possibly from rear of tranny too.

My truck is gone now but I am still stumped over this vibration issue.

Glad, but I guess not glad that someoen else had the issue LOL.

I was about to install my Corsa Sport catback tmrw, but I guess wait until I can get these things sorted out.

I recall an issue posted on the forum about the coolant smell. I believe there were some heater cores that were leaking slightly causing the smell.

Found it...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154997-antifreeze-smell-in-cab/?hl=%2Bheater+%2Bcore&do=findComment&comment=1372372

I have only ever smelled coolant as I'm walking around the front of the truck. When I go back to find the source of the smell its basically nonexistent. This doesn't happen everyday either.

The noise could just be in my mind. I took almost an identical trip last night as I did in the morning, and I didn't notice anything out of the normal.

I am going through the vibration part of your trouble. Bought a '14 Silverado in May. It has been to 3 dealerships for a total of 6 times to finally determine that the rear end needs to be replaced which has been the cause of the vibration.

Now the dealer states that there are no parts available for the replacement and it could be weeks waiting for parts. GM is looking into re-purchasing the truck back but no word. Most of '14 1500's are having this issue but so many dealers are not diagnosing it correctly....replacing tires and/or wheels or stating the tires are flat spotted due to sitting on lots waiting to be sold. This is not the case. good luck to all, I am hoping they buy mine back..... by the way, i just got home today and recieve a recall notice on my truck for something unrelated.

Thanks for sharing... I'm hoping it's not a rear-end that needs to be replaced on my truck. Although, my first thought was the rear axle when I heard the noise. It sounded a lot like a friend of mines jeep when the carrier wasn't set up correctly.

Archived