5.3L Idle Vibration/Rough Idle Surge

Hey all,

I read some of the idle vibration posts on here and the threads are relatively old and I posted in them and didn't receive a response so I figured I'd start a new one and see if anyone is having similar issues. When I first got my 2014 Sierra I was pleasantly surprised how smooth it was at idle compared to my 2013. Now it has developed an intermittent idle vibration where it only used to happen before it reached operating temp, now it happens once it's reached operating temp too. If I rev the engine and let the rpms come back down once it comes back to about 700 rpms down to 500 or so it feels like it is surging and stumbling and then settles back down. Sometimes at 500 rpms it feels like it is missing but other times it's just fine and smooth. Rpms don't seem to change when the "surging or missing" feeling happens and I have not had any check engine lights yet. I haven't filled up with fuel in 2 weeks or so and it didn't seem to be doing it last week or I wasn't paying too much attention to it. Should I try premium fuel and see if it helps? Any ideas? Is this the way these engines are? Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hotrodz37

i talked to a mechanic about the rough idle on my 2014 silverado. It seems rough to me too, and a little noisy but apparently that's how it is. new direct injectors and something else. I don't know seems funny if you ask me, just had to bring it in for 3 recalls and they said it was fine also..... im not 100% about it.

• Like 1

I've had similar issues with my 5.3. Although mine doesn't surge like yours. But there is a TSB for the idle vibration which involves recentering the motor and trans on the mounts. Before the TSB I had a pretty constant idle vibration. After it is much less but not 100% vibration free....but when you try to idle a 355 hp V8 at 500rpm...its bound to vibrate. So I just deal with it.

Another issue I had is with the spark plugs. I had a bad spark plug recently and it would cause the rpms to dip below 500 on idle and then almost stall! Caused misfires and terrible shaking and ping/knock. Kinda scary actually. Had the plug replaced and now its back to its normal self.

I've had similar issues with my 5.3. Although mine doesn't surge like yours. But there is a TSB for the idle vibration which involves recentering the motor and trans on the mounts. Before the TSB I had a pretty constant idle vibration. After it is much less but not 100% vibration free....but when you try to idle a 355 hp V8 at 500rpm...its bound to vibrate. So I just deal with it.

Another issue I had is with the spark plugs. I had a bad spark plug recently and it would cause the rpms to dip below 500 on idle and then almost stall! Caused misfires and terrible shaking and ping/knock. Kinda scary actually. Had the plug replaced and now its back to its normal self.

Thanks for the info! I saw the TSB for the 3mm engine shim. I think its livable for now. I am trying to avoid going to the dealer at all costs after my last truck was in the shop for 54 days in the first 5 mos of ownership. I am trying to decide a fine line between what is livable and what is going to drive me nuts. Strange thing to me is it doesn't do it all the time. I have 5k miles on it now. Maybe I will try some good injector cleaner and a good tank of shell or other top tier gas and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info! I saw the TSB for the 3mm engine shim. I think its livable for now. I am trying to avoid going to the dealer at all costs after my last truck was in the shop for 54 days in the first 5 mos of ownership. I am trying to decide a fine line between what is livable and what is going to drive me nuts. Strange thing to me is it doesn't do it all the time. I have 5k miles on it now. Maybe I will try some good injector cleaner and a good tank of shell or other top tier gas and see how it goes.

Yea the shim definitely helps. It wont take longer than a day to complete. I would get it done.

When I start the truck I turn the key on after it sitting overnight and leave it on until the dinging goes off, then turn the key and then it starts right up. If I try and turn it on right after I put the key in the ignition and its cold from sitting overnight it sounds like it has a couple extra cranks. Is that normal for the direct injection engines? Once its warmed up I can drive around all day and get in and out and it starts normally.

Just wondering because I also found this TSB:

NHTSA: Action Number: 10054993 Service Bulletin Number: 368633

• Report Date:
    Jan 01, 2014
  • Component:
    Fuel System, Gasoline

Summary: Gmc/chevrolet: due to having incorrect fuel pump pressure regulator, at time of production, the malfunction indicator lamp will illuminate, will have hard start condition, the engine will stumble and/or stall out. Model 2014 silverado 150

When I start the truck I turn the key on after it sitting overnight and leave it on until the dinging goes off, then turn the key and then it starts right up. If I try and turn it on right after I put the key in the ignition and its cold from sitting overnight it sounds like it has a couple extra cranks. Is that normal for the direct injection engines? Once its warmed up I can drive around all day and get in and out and it starts normally.

Just wondering because I also found this TSB:

NHTSA: Action Number: 10054993 Service Bulletin Number: 368633

• Report Date:

Jan 01, 2014

• Component:

Fuel System, Gasoline

Summary: Gmc/chevrolet: due to having incorrect fuel pump pressure regulator, at time of production, the malfunction indicator lamp will illuminate, will have hard start condition, the engine will stumble and/or stall out. Model 2014 silverado 150

the longer starts on cold starts is normal for DI.

the longer starts on cold starts is normal for DI.

Thank you sir! I figured it was. I was thinking back and I filled up at a RaceTrack gas station a few weeks ago while visiting my parents. Not the station I normally use, so I will get a decent tank of fuel when this one runs out and report back.

Vibrating at idle definetly is not normal. That's probably the only issue I currently don't have with my 14.

Yep that makes 2 of us. I have nearly every other issue described on this forum except this one. When idling, it's like she's not even running it's so smooth so I'd argue the diagnosis regarding the motor mounts is correct. If it's not that, then you probably have something going on internally either with one of the fuel pumps maybe not getting enough fuel to the engine....I don't know I'm not that well versed in engines but I can tell you that it's not normal and you should get it looked at. Good luck man.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently been experiencing a rough idle like hotrodz37. The dealer performed a motor mount alignment procedure on both the driver's and passenger's side mounts when I took it in (no shims were added though). The vibrations never really went away, and now they are back full force at idle. Could someone show me where to find the actual TSB for the 3mm engine shim so that I can take it with me to the dealer?

Thanks,

Mine has started idling rough again. Had it at the dealer a few weeks bag for mis-fires and they replaced a spark plug. I've had the motor/trans mount TSB done (twice actually).

NOW, I am starting to get fed up with this truck.

Mine has started idling rough again. Had it at the dealer a few weeks bag for mis-fires and they replaced a spark plug. I've had the motor/trans mount TSB done (twice actually).

NOW, I am starting to get fed up with this truck.

How many miles are on your truck now?

How many miles are on your truck now?

11,800. After they did the TSB for the idle vibration it was about 85% better. Considerably less vibration while idling. But ever since I had the misfires and a spark plug replaced when it idles it vibrates and it almost worst than it was. And it comes in waves, the rpms flutter around 500 and if it goes under 500 the vibrations are stronger.

Edited by fondupot