How I installed the black gm factory bowtie emblem on the front of my

Hi, I am sharing my install of the BLACK CHEVROLET BOWTIE GRILLE & TAILGATE EMBLEM for 2014 2015 Silverado OEM GM #23463799. These are the exact replacement emblems for the gold bowtie on the 14 and 15 silverado grill and tailgate.

After lifting the hood to remove the front emblem, I was surprised that the is no way to get to the emblem without removing the grill and many screws and bolts. After looking at the new black emblem, I decided that you can gently pry under the plastic gold bowtie center of the emblem. I used a small flathead screwdriver and broke the 4 tabs by sliding the screwdriver under then twisting it. The tabs broke easy.

You then can look at your new emblem and see where the 4 tabs that hold the chrome trim piece to the grill are. I again used the screwdriver by inserting it into each slot and pushed the tab in so that the trim ring will then just pull straight out. You also could just break the plastic tab. You then remove the chrome trim and reinsert the new black emblem that will snap in place. The whole job took about 10 minutes being careful not the scratch or pry too hard. Easy install.

• Like 4

I changed mine to colormatch black. I did the whole emblem on the grille and just the insert on the tailgate since I think the tailgate emblem looked best with the chrome trim. The emblems I got were aluminum and had no real problem taking the old ones off. The only problem was the templates that came with them were too small but I still did it without messing anything up. I didn't take the grille off, just pried the inserts out and the chrome trim on the front I broke those tabs. The 2 emblems I got jsut had 2 sided tape and so far haven't seen neither one start to come off. Took all of 10 -15 minutes to do all of it.

• 3 months later...

Man I looked for days on this topic..... Thank you for giving me the info I needed!! Slide a small flathead screwdriver under gold part of emblem/bowtie and pop rivets remove gold part push screwdriver in to pop off chrome trim piece... that is it... like 5 minutes!!

Once agin Thanks a million!!

Mike

Edited by mikec8699

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well fudge, guess I don't have to remove the grill afterall!

I'll give this a shot tonight.

So how did it work for you? I was following this thread elsewhere but there was no info on getting the emblem off without removing the whole grille. So if I understand it right, i need to pry off the gold bowtie itself (leaving the chrome surround alone), then use a screwdriver to pop the chrome surround off next. Then I take the new black bowtie w/chrome surround and press it into the tab slots on the grille?

If so, that seems easy enough

Did you replace the tailgate stick on bowtie too? I saw how to get it off using fishing line and a heat gun. How do you get all the adhesive off to prep the surface for the new bowtie?

Thx for the help

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am sharing my install of the BLACK CHEVROLET BOWTIE GRILLE & TAILGATE EMBLEM for 2014 2015 Silverado OEM GM #23463799. These are the exact replacement emblems for the gold bowtie on the 14 and 15 silverado grill and tailgate.

After lifting the hood to remove the front emblem, I was surprised that the is no way to get to the emblem without removing the grill and many screws and bolts. After looking at the new black emblem, I decided that you can gently pry under the plastic gold bowtie center of the emblem. I used a small flathead screwdriver and broke the 4 tabs by sliding the screwdriver under then twisting it. The tabs broke easy.

You then can look at your new emblem and see where the 4 tabs that hold the chrome trim piece to the grill are. I again used the screwdriver by inserting it into each slot and pushed the tab in so that the trim ring will then just pull straight out. You also could just break the plastic tab. You then remove the chrome trim and reinsert the new black emblem that will snap in place. The whole job took about 10 minutes being careful not the scratch or pry too hard. Easy install.

Edited by nascar4401

• 2 months later...

So these are the emblems I am wanting to install on my Silverado and I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. So with the front bumper, you just stick a flat head screwdriver inbetween the gold emblem and chrome trim and gently pop the emblem out? Then reinsert the new one with the tabs? For the tailgate, you actually remove the entire emblem and the new one just is an adhesive? 41HBKQVQg2L.jpg41now4oQleL.jpg

Hopefully this will clear it up for you. I'll attach the pics after the post since they're on my phone.

As for the rear, correct, they are just double sided tape for old and new. Use fishing line and "saw" your way down from top to bottom. Be careful not to pull outward on the emblem or it can scratch the paint on the opposite side that you're pulling on. Just keep sawing down until it falls off.

For the front:

Pic 1: This is the front badge, gold and chrome surround. You can see where I pried on the bottom. Get a flat head in that area and then twist. You'll hear the plastic rivits breaking. Kinda scary sounding, but really no big deal.

c47c2b13b6e0f5bb297b0b53f0650bf9.jpg

Pic 2: You can see the 6 plastic rivits on the back of the gold piece that are snapped. Once you snap that first one on the bottom, you can work your way around if you want, or you can just man handle it and force them all off from the bottom. You'll gouge the Chrome out line too, but remember you are replacing that part as well. I am sure you could do this cleaner, but I didn't plan on keeping the old stuff for resale or anything, so I didn't mind it getting dinged up.

1cb0900a0a4af185def2048a5302a924.jpg

Pic 3: This shows the 4 square holes that clip the Chrome surround piece to the grill. You can see which hole I had a hard time with, but basically you insert a screw driver in these holes to either undo the clip (which I couldn't manage) or break the clip (which I did).

df7ed37c55f3e917fe1e745bb6438c1a.jpg

Pic 4: Once you have the clips broken, pull the chrome surround out towards you. You can see there are 2 mounting anchors that slid in.

d78eb7206e0c702511931a458f92f75d.jpg

Then, clean up shop and slide the new full piece (Black bowtie and Chrome Surround) into place. They'll clip down into place and you're down. I can't remember if I heard them snap into place or not, but I know its in there good, hasn't fallen out yet [emoji14].

Edited by Rawyzf
  • Thanks 1