Transmission Temperatures

XYZ

My '03 Sierra had a huge trans cooler that I had added, so I know I am used to the temps it ran, but my '14 Silverado regular cab is running around 190-degrees, and it is only in the high 80s temp-wise the past couple of days here. This is regular driving, mix of highway and city, no towing whatsoever. My "towing package" unfortunately did not include a factory trans cooler.....so, what kind of trans temps are you guys seeing?

Yep normal. My (former) 2007 and my 2014 behave in the exact same manner. Temp will be around 180ish in the winter, about 195 in the summer, and get up to about 205 when I'm really towing and hauling or driving it hard in the heat.

My '03 Sierra had a huge trans cooler that I had added, so I know I am used to the temps it ran, but my '14 Silverado regular cab is running around 190-degrees, and it is only in the high 80s temp-wise the past couple of days here. This is regular driving, mix of highway and city, no towing whatsoever. My "towing package" unfortunately did not include a factory trans cooler.....so, what kind of trans temps are you guys seeing?

Normal as others stated. The system has some sort of bypass that gets the trans temp up to operating temp before hitting the coolers.

Do you have the 4.3 or 5.3? If you have the 5.3, and are looking for the factory aux. cooler (which they have) its not remotely mounted on these trucks. Its part of the AC condensor.

Thermostat could explain temps that go from 190 to 130 then. Cause I first noticed the higher temps as well only to find out this is normal, then noticed much lower temps at certain times on the exact same drive to and from work. Wonder why they chose a stat/bypass route? Seems like cooler temsp would be best for longevity.

Once mine hits 194°F, it pretty much stays there (whether I'm towing or not).

While we're on this subject, anyone else's transmission take a while to reach peak operating temp? If it's cool out, it might take 50 miles before I see 194°F. Even in the summer, it's seems to take at least 35+ miles. I would think if there is some sort of by-pass thermostat to keep the transmission fluid from going through the cooler, it would warm up faster. If it's really cold out, I may not see peak temp at all (even after a couple hours of driving).

Once mine hits 194°F, it pretty much stays there (whether I'm towing or not).

While we're on this subject, anyone else's transmission take a while to reach peak operating temp? If it's cool out, it might take 50 miles before I see 194°F. Even in the summer, it's seems to take at least 35+ miles. I would think if there is some sort of by-pass thermostat to keep the transmission fluid from going through the cooler, it would warm up faster. If it's really cold out, I may not see peak temp at all (even after a couple hours of driving).

You're in North Dakota. Come drive it in the Virginia summer heat and you'll hit 205! :tumbleweed:

We're do you find a tranny temp gauge on a 14 sierra I've looked and can't find it. Is it some menu?

Should be in your DIC menu. Hit the down arrow on the right side steering wheel controls and you should eventually get to a screen that shows it. If it's not there you probably need to turn that screen on in the settings. The truck comes with a default list of information screens but you can add or remove any of them in the settings and there are additional screens in the settings that are not enabled by default.

Thermostat could explain temps that go from 190 to 130 then. Cause I first noticed the higher temps as well only to find out this is normal, then noticed much lower temps at certain times on the exact same drive to and from work. Wonder why they chose a stat/bypass route? Seems like cooler temsp would be best for longevity.

What I figure is that sometimes it will perform and operate better at operating temps instead of cooler temps. Especially for the winter time when driving an auto.

You're in North Dakota. Come drive it in the Virginia summer heat and you'll hit 205! :tumbleweed:

I'm in northeastern NC and everytime I look at it, it says 196°. I've never seen it go over 200° and I've had mine since April of this year. Not saying it never has, I just never seen it when looking at it.

What I figure is that sometimes it will perform and operate better at operating temps instead of cooler temps. Especially for the winter time when driving an auto.

I'm in northeastern NC and everytime I look at it, it says 196°. I've never seen it go over 200° and I've had mine since April of this year. Not saying it never has, I just never seen it when looking at it.

My experience as well. I'm from Michigan, and I have never seen it over 198°. Mostly it runs 196° maximum around here in the hot summer, less of course in winter. I have had my truck for just over a year now, and have 14,000 miles on it.

I was just on a trip our West last week, and while climbing some of the steep grades to very high elevations, the highest I seen it get is 198°.

I don't constantly check it, but made a point to on some of the climbs. I occasionally scroll through all the screens, just to keep things in check.

I'm not as concerned with it in the winter, but IIRC it is in the 185ish° ball park after reaching operating temp. I know the V4 mode is dependent on the air temp, and transmission temps. If it is extremely cold out, it can take up to 10 miles of driving before the transmission temps get high enough to let it switch into V4 mode. Some times the transmission fluid needs to be at least 113°, before it will let it switch. This has to all be computer controlled, as if the air temp is warmer, it will let it switch in at a much lower transmission temperature, say 94° in the winter. In summer temps, it only has to be in second gear to switch into V4 mode, usually slightly over 15 MPH in my 5.3 with 3.42 gears.

Should be in your DIC menu. Hit the down arrow on the right side steering wheel controls and you should eventually get to a screen that shows it. If it's not there you probably need to turn that screen on in the settings. The truck comes with a default list of information screens but you can add or remove any of them in the settings and there are additional screens in the settings that are not enabled by default.

Thank you very much for the help

Archived