cjb321's 06 sierra 2500HD

cjb321

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Airbag came in today, its not grey like the guy said in the description and the picture he had made it look lighter than it is but oh well, i can live with it. I guess there is a differnece between base model trucks and ones with options because the connections are different on mine but i made it work.

Difference between the 2:

IMG_0236_zps1gizwlsd.jpg

taken apart to swap the covers, just 4 bolts and carefully pull the bag out:

IMG_0237_zps1ksvbxly.jpg

how it looks installed:

IMG_0238_zpsoo0mmh8p.jpg

i like it other than it still doesnt match the leather on the wheel but oh well.

So i was talking to a guy i work with today and he was looking at the stuff i've done to my truck and he asked why i was dressing a pig up in a ball gown. I guess he's one of those people that just buys them and drives them til they die then buy another. I just told him... because i can. I know i can probably find another truck with more options in better shape and just trade this one in but where's the fun in that??

So i was talking to a guy i work with today and he was looking at the stuff i've done to my truck and he asked why i was dressing a pig up in a ball gown. I guess he's one of those people that just buys them and drives them til they die then buy another. I just told him... because i can. I know i can probably find another truck with more options in better shape and just trade this one in but where's the fun in that??

I get that sort of response from people sometimes too. It's your truck and your money not theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good run to the junkyard:

Found a pocket for where the airbag switch used to go, i just relocated it to the glovebox that i dont open very often. Reason i wanted the pocket instead is im going to replace the sereo with a double din pretty soon so i'll lose the pocket under the radio:

IMG_0246_zps39qrv9tt.jpg

Also got a square blank because Daryl had me curious on his build, whole assmbly will be in the mail to him soon:

IMG_0245_zpspzn2engi.jpg

Also scored a overhead console with the map lights... drove around in the junkyard for 2 hours looking at every single 99+ GM truck and kept finding the longer ones and ones with homelink and ac controls which i didnt want, finally on the last row i found this one:

IMG_0247_zpsvnu2zb2r.jpg

Just have to cut the headliner and hope the wires up there already have power or run new power to it.

Another good run to the junkyard:

Found a pocket for where the airbag switch used to go, i just relocated it to the glovebox that i dont open very often. Reason i wanted the pocket instead is im going to replace the sereo with a double din pretty soon so i'll lose the pocket under the radio:

IMG_0246_zps39qrv9tt.jpg

Also got a square blank because Daryl had me curious on his build, whole assmbly will be in the mail to him soon:

IMG_0245_zpspzn2engi.jpg

Also scored a overhead console with the map lights... drove around in the junkyard for 2 hours looking at every single 99+ GM truck and kept finding the longer ones and ones with homelink and ac controls which i didnt want, finally on the last row i found this one:

IMG_0247_zpsvnu2zb2r.jpg

Just have to cut the headliner and hope the wires up there already have power or run new power to it.

That's awesome! PM me when you get a chance to let me know how much you want for the blank.

Was kinda scared taking a razor knife to my headliner:

IMG_0248_zpssixyep1z.jpg

Turns out i have the harness for the mirror that has the compass and temperature but not the wires for the map lights, so i routed some wires down but they weren't quite long enough to reach to hook them up. Figured i would just tap into the cigarette lighter circuit so they always have power.

I'll paint it to match the dash when i get the headliner redone.

got the overhead lights wired up, i was suprised the bulbs still worked:

IMG_0254_zpsb0nq2mxd.jpg

but they were kinda dim so got some LED bulbs to replace them:

IMG_0257_zpswkgqyfts.jpg

headliner was falling at the windshield and over the passenger side door so i reglued those spots, hopefully it stays til i can get it completely redone:

IMG_0256_zpsehlu0zui.jpg

never understood why GM made the headliners brown when the rest of the interior is grey, cant wait to redo it.

got the overhead lights wired up, i was suprised the bulbs still worked:

IMG_0254_zpsb0nq2mxd.jpg

but they were kinda dim so got some LED bulbs to replace them:

IMG_0257_zpswkgqyfts.jpg

headliner was falling at the windshield and over the passenger side door so i reglued those spots, hopefully it stays til i can get it completely redone:

IMG_0256_zpsehlu0zui.jpg

never understood why GM made the headliners brown when the rest of the interior is grey, cant wait to redo it.

You'll enjoy having those extra lights, they come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my new radio. Has all the bells and whistles except HD radio which i never use anyway, dont even have the radio antenna installed and the wire is buried under the dash somewhere. Thegps is an add on unit that i will get eventually. I can bluetooth both my phones at the same time too. Gotta get a new install kit though, one of the tabs is cracked and this kit makes the radio sit too low so it rubs when it flips out for dvd.

IMG_0267_zpskuqrc9fb.jpg

Finally got my new radio. Has all the bells and whistles except HD radio which i never use anyway, dont even have the radio antenna installed and the wire is buried under the dash somewhere. Thegps is an add on unit that i will get eventually. I can bluetooth both my phones at the same time too. Gotta get a new install kit though, one of the tabs is cracked and this kit makes the radio sit too low so it rubs when it flips out for dvd.

IMG_0267_zpskuqrc9fb.jpg

That's pretty sweet. I'm thinking I'll change mine someday for something more advanced with Android Auto. By the way I got that part last week. I keep forgetting to let you know. Thanks again!

not a problem.

this radio can do both, iphone and android. can play misic and some videos off a thumb drive too. i just flipped through the manual real quick and got bored and just started hitting button til i figued it all out lol.

not a problem.

this radio can do both, iphone and android. can play misic and some videos off a thumb drive too. i just flipped through the manual real quick and got bored and just started hitting button til i figued it all out lol.

That's pretty cool. Who says you can't give an older truck new tech? Lol!

Upgraded my speakers, the ones i put in 3 years ago were just the cheapest speakers i could find at the time so I could have more than 1 crappy sounding factory speaker, 2 were blown and 1 had a broken wire i found while replacing them originally. Never really was happy with the way they sounded but it was better than what it had.

Im very pleased with these to the point that im thinking i wont need to add subs under the back seat.

IMG_0277_zpsmbatjilq.jpg

No install pics cause i forgot. I also fixed my floppy driver door panel, kinda ghetto rigged it but it not noticable and will work til i decide if i want to add power windors or not, got ideas im tossing around in my head lol.

Oh and i replaced the mounting kit for the head unit, had to modify it a little to get it to sit more centered in the dash, not sure why it wont sit right with both kits i tried. The add on GPS for the head unit should be here friday if UPS is actually running on a holiday.

Archived