Replace ignition lock cylinder without key

tamillerwv

Question

I have lost the key to my 2007 Yukon. I had my dealership make me a key from the VIN, but it doesn't work. I need to replace the lock cylinder. All instructions require turning the switch to the run position. How do I remove the lock cylinder without a key?

Did your ignition key work in your door? Or glove box? If so, take the lock cylinder out of the door or glove box and give it to dealer to have them make a key from the pins in the lock cylinder. Try that key they made in the door and see if it works in there.

When you say the key does not work, do you mean it will not turn the lock cylinder at all? Have you tried turning the steering wheel slightly to make sure the locking mechanism is not loading against the steering wheel making it very hard to pull the locking pawl back to unlock the steering.

No, the key does not work in the door either. I bought the vehicle used from a lot next to a repo yard and am thinking that it was rekeyed. The dealer told me that the door lock uses 5 of the 10 tumblers where the ignition uses all 10.

• Like 1

Any chance you can go to the place you purchased it from and ask them where they got it, or do they have any information regarding the changed lock set? Maybe there is a chance that if you can get the receipt from the place that changed the lock set, that maybe it will have some reference to the key code for that lock set that the dealership can use to get replacement key.

I have never tried for a car, but, can a locksmith get the key tumbler code for you? I know they can do it for house door locks easily enough. I got the wrong keys to my brand new house purchase 14 years ago, had to pay a locksmith to come make new key, only to find out 20 minutes after he left that my new neighbours 2 houses down also had wrong keys, turned out they had mine, I had theirs.

I would take the new key to another dealer or a locksmith and see if it was cut correctly. Wouldn't be the first time a key was cut wrong.

What would the dealer or locksmith compare the key to? This key was ordered from GM based on the vehicle's VIN.

I know I can have a locksmith make a new key from the tumblers. My challenge is getting the lock cylinder out of the steering column without a key. I am also trying to avoid the several hundred dollars to have someone else do it. Drilling would require new locks which I want to avoid. How do I remove the lock cylinder without drilling or using a key.

I am not talking about cutting a key from tumblers. I am talking about how the touch of the key blank feels inside the cylinder and filing it by hand which a good locksmith can do. Now it's going to cost you some $$$$ one way or another. Its your choice of which way you want to go. Have you even talked to a locksmith?

I know I can have a locksmith make a new key from the tumblers. My challenge is getting the lock cylinder out of the steering column without a key. I am also trying to avoid the several hundred dollars to have someone else do it. Drilling would require new locks which I want to avoid. How do I remove the lock cylinder without drilling or using a key.

A slide hammer will get it out, but, that is not an option either. I am pretty sure your only hope is getting a locksmith to attempt a rekey. Try going to a locksmith and at least asking if they can do it, and what would they charge.

Did you ever go back to selling car lot and asking them for any information they may have?

12 hours ago, Irene Faye said:

I have the same problem and I see you are not getting an answer.  How did you come out on this?

Post is 3 years old or so. Might be better if you started a new thread with your issue. I still suggest a locksmith. They change them out regularly