trailering package or max tow?

j5wilson

After seeing some posts on here about gm changing the tow ratings I checked my window sticker and it says I hAve the trailering equip. package including auto locking rear diff. is this the same as the max tow package?

Also says i have optional 3.08 gears with a 7200lb rating.

The Max Tow Package has a 3.73 rear axle ratio. That's a lot of trailer for the 3.08 gears. I'd worry more about the tongue weight. Your trailer probably has somewhere between 600 and 900 pounds of tongue weight. You may want to add air bags or the Timben SES rear bump stops. No matter what you do, you need a good weight distributing/sway contol system.

As stated above, you do not have the max tow package. It comes with the 3:73 gears. The 3:08's are the standard ratio, and the 3:42's are optional. The 3:08's are actually the lightest package, as far as towing goes. Your 'towing package' basically just means that you have a hitch mounted to your frame, and the wires already ran for your trailer lights. You should be ok towing 6k once in a while, but a differently optioned truck would have suited you much better for frequent towing. As far as shocks go, only the Z71's have the Rancho's, so evidently yours isn't a Z71.

The 3.42 is standard in the 2014 GMC with 5.3, and the 3.08 is optional. You know, "Professional Grade"! LOL

I think The Rod is right about the Chevy having 3.08 as standard, and 3.42 optional.

The 3.42 is standard in the 2014 GMC with 5.3, and the 3.08 is optional. You know, "Professional Grade"! LOL

I think The Rod is right about the Chevy having 3.08 as standard, and 3.42 optional.

On the window sticker it says standard equip. 3.42 and under options or whatever it says trailering equip pkg 3.08 gears installed,.so apparently a terrible gear is an upgrade?

Maybe I'm mistaken. I thought the 3:08 was the standard gear, and 3:42 was optional. Maybe not. I can't imagine why anyone would want the 3:08's. Actually, I can't believe they're even a option on a full size 4x4 truck. So yes, j5wilson, the 'optional' gear package on your truck actually hinders the towing performance....and actually just hinders performance in general. Way to go, GM.... :shakehead:

I'm sorry, I left out some information. 3.42 is standard in the SLE, and 3.08 is standard in the SLT on the GMC.

This is one of those confusing topics that may vary between GMC and Chevy...really don't know about the GMC, but I do have my 2014 Chevy window sticker in front of me...2014 Silverado 1500 2WD LTZ DBL...

Under Standard Equipment, Mechanical on the left, it says Engine, 5.3L V8...Rear Axle 3.08 Ratio

Under Options & Pricing on the right, it lists the LTZ Plus Package, among other things it lists GVW Rating - 7,000 LBS and Rear Axle 3.42 Ratio

So 3.42 is clearly an option on my truck.

I also checked the RPO list (glove box label) just because I am curious...GU6 is 3.42; GU4 is 3.08; GT4 is 3.73...I have GU6

My sales guy also gave me a build sheet with all of the final options listed.

Hope this helps

Its not going to kill you if you get a 3.08 and your not pulling. With 355 to 380 HP and a six speed it will still move pretty good. If you save enough money just change the gear. With what I saved on my truck if it came with an 3.08 I still would have bought it. So money talks.

On the window sticker it says standard equip. 3.42 and under options or whatever it says trailering equip pkg 3.08 gears installed,.so apparently a terrible gear is an upgrade?

The standard equipment section is based on the truck, with no options, and base powerplant. The base powerplant is the 4.3, which in 4x4 comes only with 3.42 gears. When you option to the 5.3, the base gear on the 5.3 is the 3.08 gear.

The standard equipment section is based on the truck, with no options, and base powerplant. The base powerplant is the 4.3, which in 4x4 comes only with 3.42 gears. When you option to the 5.3, the base gear on the 5.3 is the 3.08 gear.

Not on the SLE with the 5.3. SLT, yes.

Archived