Lowering a 4wd, what's the lowest I can go?

Well I was trying to follow the thread on lowering and leveling, but it's gotten so confusing and hard to follow, that I figured I'd start my own. So as the title says I'm looking to lower my '14 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ 4wd. The only reason I got a 4wd is because I live in Wyoming and the winters can get pretty nasty. Also for the occasional boat ramp.

So what's the lowest I'd be able to go and also what kit are you guys using? And if there are, who is making an air bag kit for these trucks? I'm also planning on running 24" wheels.

Thanks for the help.

Haven't looked into drop kits much lately but McGaughys lowering kit fits both 2wd and 4wd with a 3/5 drop recommended for 4wd's. 24's on that 3/5 drop will look perfect in my opinion.

http://www.mcgaughys-suspension.com/chevrolet-silverado-1500-2014-3-5-4-6-deluxe-drop-kit-w-shocks-mcgaughys-part-34170/

Haven't looked into drop kits much lately but McGaughys lowering kit fits both 2wd and 4wd with a 3/5 drop recommended for 4wd's. 24's on that 3/5 drop will look perfect in my opinion.

http://www.mcgaughys-suspension.com/chevrolet-silverado-1500-2014-3-5-4-6-deluxe-drop-kit-w-shocks-mcgaughys-part-34170/

Awesome thanks for the help, ill check out them out. I also seen that DJM makes a kit. Have you heard anything about them?

If it was me, towing, boat ramps, winter, wyoming. Leave it stock. You will be pissed that first time you rip off the valence with a chunk of ice on the road this winter.

Yeah I thought about that too. But I can't leave it stock lol that's a reason why I'd like to bag it. Just to be able to raise it in the winter while driving.

Awesome thanks for the help, ill check out them out. I also seen that DJM makes a kit. Have you heard anything about them?

Yeah I thought about that too. But I can't leave it stock lol that's a reason why I'd like to bag it. Just to be able to raise it in the winter while driving.

bags would be cool...but pricey.

In your situation I also vote for bags. But, for now if you want it lower you could take the factory lift blocks from the rear. That would drop the back an inch. To me the front on mine is too low for being a 4x4 Z71. I don't think it would be a good idea to lower the front even more even if you never go off asphalt. Hell before I removed the front bumper valance the valance rubbed up against a parking lot curb.

I'm thinking the bags will be the best for my situation also. Maybe I'll just take the rear blocks out like you've suggested. I also just saw someone that trimmed the valance, I think I might try that too.

I'm thinking the bags will be the best for my situation also. Maybe I'll just take the rear blocks out like you've suggested. I also just saw someone that trimmed the valance, I think I might try that too.

I thought about trimming it level at 1st to see how it went, but it was scratched all the hell so I figured I might as well just remove it totally.

I thought about trimming it level at 1st to see how it went, but it was scratched all the hell so I figured I might as well just remove it totally.

I haven't even looked under there to see how it's connected. Is it just held on by a few screws or is it a pain to get off?

I dig a lowered truck for the sport scene, but for the life of me why a 4wd Z71 version? Is there an advantage at all? Seems more viable for a 2wd non Z71 and apply that money to the whole process if that's what is desired. Seems like a waste in my opinion.

I dig a lowered truck for the sport scene, but for the life of me why a 4wd Z71 version? Is there an advantage at all? Seems more viable for a 2wd non Z71 and apply that money to the whole process if that's what is desired. Seems like a waste in my opinion.

It's a waste for me to buy a 2wd pickup in the area I live. The winters are pretty bad up here in Wyoming and they don't plow the roads or add salt, so I need the 4wd just for that.
  • Like 1