Change color of upper console LED? Ambient lighting

Does anyone know how to change the upper console and rear dome led bulb? I want to change the color of the ambient lighting. I've swapped interior bulbs out before in other cars, I just can't seem to figure out the bulb in the 2014.

Similar to this:

post-127188-0-28566900-1412066180_thumb.jpg

post-127188-0-93404600-1412066180_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this is possible. You could probably take a sharpie and color the lens if you really wanted to change the color. Other than that you may have to wait for an aftermarket vendor to create a PNP bulb system for these trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone posted about it a while back. Do a search, you might find it?

Someone posted about it a while back. Do a search, you might find it?

I've been researching this topic for awhile. The but the only thing others post topics about is - LED footwell lighting. I know this look isnt for everyone, but it is a untouched topic for 2014+ on this website.

I've been researching this topic for awhile. The but the only thing others post topics about is - LED footwell lighting. I know this look isnt for everyone, but it is a untouched topic for 2014+ on this website.

Someone changed theirs in the upper console a few months ago on this site. Hopefully they read this and can answer your questions.

So today I removed my rear dome led corver to see what the leds looked like, and this is what I saw. Not the type of led I'm use to. No PNP possibilities here. If anyone is familiar with soldering on different leds please comment. Thanks.

post-127188-0-22182500-1412722714_thumb.jpgpost-127188-0-71122800-1412722884_thumb.jpg

post-127188-0-22182500-1412722714_thumb.jpg

post-127188-0-71122800-1412722884_thumb.jpg

those are SMT (surface mount technology). The soldered on component sets flush with the board. A guy with a steady hand, a good SMT type soldering iron and some experience with SMT soldering, can do it. A hamfist like me would toast the board.

There's more to it than just a $10 soldering iron and some flux. An experienced person might get away with a cheapo iron, but I wouldn't risk it unless you know you can replace the whole board readily and cheaply. There are tons of YouTube vids on this soldering. Search SMT or SMD soldering.

Just hit me that over on the HID Planet forum, there are guys assembling LED clusters for tail lights. There may be some useful info in there.

• just a thought, why not cut the blue wires disconnecting the factory LED?
  • find a smaller smd led you like, solder some wires to it
  • hot glue new led in place and splice to existing wires

Really don't know if this would work, but in my head it does lol

The old people had plays at theaters instead of movies. Their colored lights were just white lights through colored film. That would be the easiest low tech way. Otherwise replaces those with others you can find then online, but probably best to pay someone to put them in our practice on something else before you these. Third option is grow up and keep them white, j/k had to through it in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as one of the “OLD PEOPLE”…! The colored film you reference is called Gel, before LED technology they were used in every type of lighting / stage lighting to achieve different colored light…think concerts before LED’s and Varilite. You can still buy it, it is made to also be heat resistant as the PAR cans and bulbs used would get extremely hot.. I would try this, you may like the result and for the cheap cost it may save you replacing expensive circuit boards……… just a little advice from an “Old Guy” that use dot be a Lighting Director for a few bands!

• 6 months later...

Hobbies stores carry a translucent paint that I use to use to color light bulbs. My cars autometer phantom white face tach turns blue at night thanks to this paint on the bulb still.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually run an SMT machine for a living and can confirm those were absolutely built with one. Removing and replacing the LED is pretty easy...if you have the right equipment. A hot air rework machine makes the removal a snap and soldering a new one on is easy as long as you clean the pads really well. I know this doesn't help at all but the damn gypsy wine makes me chatty lol

Archived