Leaf Spring Squeaks/Creeks-2014 1500

'14 Sierra AT owner here. One of my compaints about the truck is the intermittent bad creaking or squeaking sound I get from what is undoubtedly the rear leaf springs. I have been under the truck many times and it seems to be two seaf springs rubbing together that is making the noise, spring pads are in place, makes no difference, can be real bad at times, and not bad at others, power washing helps for a day or so, wd40 or grease helps for a few days. I have had it to the dealer, they have re-torqued things and said the noise went away, it did not! and they also say its not warrantied anymore cause of the 3" spring blocks back there. But these have NO bearing on leaf springs making contact and terrible noise, the dang thing sounds 20 years old.

So, I'd like to know who else has this problem? I know there are many (I'm hoping this becomes a documented issue and a service bulletin is released)

And how many of you have had the problem fixed? Im at the point where I might take it back, might just try some more/different spring pads and cleaning/lube between leaf springs during next tire rotation ( I dont feel like I should have to do this on a new, warranteed truck but maybe it will be easier)

Thanks!

Edited by pj8556

My truck does it horribly in the winter and when it rains... there has been a few threads:

The springs are loud as hell under the conditions above but I also get the pop/creak in the first thread below's video.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158948-2014-sierra-creaking-noise-video/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154769-popping-noise-from-under-the-bed-area/

Edited by bladz1454

Yep. Mine squeak and creek as well. Took it to the dealer and they did the exact same stuff. retorqued and sprayed with WD or something. Didn't squeak for a while, but sure enough next time I drove in heavy rain I noticed the noise came back. Not sure what else to do with it.

I've accepted the faults with this first year run truck. Not worth my time or frustration worrying about it.

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 1

Yep. Mine squeak and creek as well. Took it to the dealer and they did the exact same stuff. retorqued and sprayed with WD or something. Didn't squeak for a while, but sure enough next time I drove in heavy rain I noticed the noise came back. Not sure what else to do with it.

I've accepted the faults with this first year run truck. Not worth my time or frustration worrying about it.

+1, exactly. And the way i see it, if my shocks or springs do end up being faulty - I have three years for them to get worse haha. much rather have them replaced right before my warranties up than when its new.

that was my truck in video.... been quiet ever since they replaced the springs.. knock on wood..

how hard was it to get them to replace the springs? ive brought my truck in twice and both times it would make the sound when i drove in, they would put it up on the lift to look for anything out of the normal, put it down and the sound would be gone. they would send me on my way and the truck would get the sound back within half a day (after the springs settled back in).

+1, exactly. And the way i see it, if my shocks or springs do end up being faulty - I have three years for them to get worse haha. much rather have them replaced right before my warranties up than when its new.

Ironically, I did actually have a Rancho shock out back replaced in my first round to the dealer after noticing the creaking. The shock was toast. Leaking oil and all.

Edited by fondupot

I forgot about the Rancho shock .... had one of them replaced in the back as well before the springs. AS for the springs... they could clearly hear the problem.... so they ordered one new spring. had to wait a week.. then go back to the dealer so they could install. After that they cured "most" of the creaking sound, but agreed the other spring should also be replaced. So... had to order that spring... wait a week again and then go back. This is what sucks most about these problems is they don't' stock any real parts.. they have to order everything, and you have to go back. All and all.. I think I had 5 trips to the dealer for rear end creaking sounds..

I forgot about the Rancho shock .... had one of them replaced in the back as well before the springs. AS for the springs... they could clearly hear the problem.... so they ordered one new spring. had to wait a week.. then go back to the dealer so they could install. After that they cured "most" of the creaking sound, but agreed the other spring should also be replaced. So... had to order that spring... wait a week again and then go back. This is what sucks most about these problems is they don't' stock any real parts.. they have to order everything, and you have to go back. All and all.. I think I had 5 trips to the dealer for rear end creaking sounds..

They had to order a spark plug when I had one go bad.....lol. I was like got to autozone and pick one up!

my dealer insists they can;t hear it when they have it so won't do anything about it drives me nuts constantly to the point the trucks going down the road shortly. I had less rattles/noise from my beat on 140k mile 07 i traded on this. Combined with the horrific driveline lash I guess I should have bought the ram after 20 years of driving GM suv/trucks.

Edited by legend700
  • Like 1

Dealer sprayed mine, helped for a very little while, but finally I jacked up truck and used a popsicle stick and marine grease between leafs and has been no squeak for awhile now. My 07 never has had this issue but it is a regular cab with very little weight on rear.

I thought some of you might find this helpful. Not wanting to waste my time with the dealer again I fixed the squeak/creak problem from the rear leaf springs myself. Heres how:

While rotating my tires the other day I raised the rear of the truck and rested it on jack-stands placed under the frame (in front of rear axle, roughly underneath the back of the cab/front of the bed) letting the axle hang creating space between leafs. I used some auto glass urethane adhesive on a linoleum flooring rectangle cut 2"x4" (that I got from the free samples in the flooring section at home depot, chose a dark color) I put the make-shift pads between any of the leafs that looked to be making contact. Rear suspension is quiet now. expect it to last! easy and cheap, I did use a chisel and/or a pry bar to create some more space between the leafs

Edited by pj8556
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had my leaf springs both replaced today by the dealer on my 2014 AT. They said that a recall will most likely be made. They've had 5 or 6 different trucks wight the same issue.

Do you know if this recall ever ended up occuring? The noise my leaf springs make is unbearable and embarrassing.