Driveshaft upgrade?

Truck driveshafts aren't meant for the speeds you hit on a dyno. The 6l80 gives you a 1:1 in 4th, that's quite a bit of speed once you tap it out. I take it some of you have never seen a driveshaft let go on the dyno? Pretty scary stuff and it usually damages the dyno and the truck, or worse case, the poor bastard standing beside the dyno. All the tuning I've done has been on the street and the strip minus 2 times that was strapped down but I only ran in 3rd and I have 4.10s.

6L80 and 6L90 do not have any 1:1 gear. Fourth is 1.15:1 and Fifth is 0.85:1

• Like 1

There are several videos of these trucks blowing the driveshafts on dyno's. Everyone thinks it is some big joke until the driveshaft slams the rear of the truck 4ft up in the air when they are doing 120mph and they die.

I am all for going fast but the driveshaft in these trucks has been proven to self destruct over 100mph...

No way I would dyno one of these trucks over 100mph, keep in mind it can rip the tailshaft off the trans ruining the trans as well as rupture the gas tank and wreck the entire underside of the truck, it is not pretty!

There are several videos of these trucks blowing the driveshafts on dyno's. Everyone thinks it is some big joke until the driveshaft slams the rear of the truck 4ft up in the air when they are doing 120mph and they die.

I am all for going fast but the driveshaft in these trucks has been proven to self destruct over 100mph...

No way I would dyno one of these trucks over 100mph, keep in mind it can rip the tailshaft off the trans ruining the trans as well as rupture the gas tank and wreck the entire underside of the truck, it is not pretty!

agreed, so who makes an aftermarket replacement??

• 9 months later...

Hmm and all this time I thought it was the tires that limited the top speed... I guess we need to seriously look at adding a driveshaft safety loop if running at highway speeds. I am not real interested in super fast highway driving but you will literally get your arse run over if you cannot do over a hundred just to get out of the way of regular traffic on Interstate 40 between Nashville and Knoxville.

• Like 1

• I upgraded my driveshaft. To many stories of them coming apart. I also have read a couple of posts where they came apart at speeds below factory speed limiter.

That is good that replacement options are available. So what brand did you use and how much cash approx?

I got mine from Driveshaft Specialties in San Antonio. I got the transmission yoke also, that way I could just pull stock out and keep it one piece as my wife has the same truck but will keep hers stock, but still have a backup in case anything happens to hers.

With shipping and the yoke it was $700. Its 5" all the way down and doesnt taper like the stock one and the wall thickness of the HD shaft is a lot thicker. They high speed balance it with the yoke and can give you a speed rating based on tires and rear end gear.

• 9 months later...

Mine came apart on me at 110 mph

hey bud , i was wondering what truck do you have that it broke on? im wondering if they did any changes to the driveshaft on the 2017 1500 models. i have my limiter removed, and went over a 100 a couple times to test it and have not experienced any problems or vibrations yet. i hit 120 once and then 130 the second time with 35 inch tires. i will have quite a bit more power over stock, so im wondering if i need to change mine out before it breaks.

• 10 months later...

Performance Driveline out of California makes a nice 2 piece Driveshaft conversion. It was 685.00 shipped to my door. Handles 550HP or they make one that handles 800+ HP ALSO

• 1 year later...

I have heard that Performance Driveline in Bakersfield Ca makes a thicker walled one piece driveshaft that has reduced the vibration a ton. They don't guarantee complete elimination but great reduction. Also possibly swapping the rear axles. Drive shaft is probably enough. I'm thinking of trying it out, anyone have any other ideas?

Edited by chvy4lif69