TPMS sensor question

Zebrafive

I have a 2011 Silverado. I found a set of 2013 Silverado wheels/tires/TPMS sensors I want to use for winter wheels/tires. Tire date code was 2213 so I believe the seller; that they came off a 2013 truck and sensors should still be good.

1 Will 2013 TPMS sensors work on a 2011 truck?

2 If I mark my current wheels/tires locations when I remove them, will they work Ok when I switch back next summer? As in; will the truck "know" the pressure and location of each wheel/tire/sensor?

3 Will the truck "see" the 2013 wheel/tire/sensors, but just not know their location? If yes, I am thinking I can just set the air psi at 25, 30, 35 & 40 and then see where the DIC says they are located and move them to the correct position(s) and reset to correct pressure. Worst case I have to swap all four to different locations.

4 If a reset tool HAS to be used, any recommendations for brand/model?

I have a 2011 Silverado. I found a set of 2013 Silverado wheels/tires/TPMS sensors I want to use for winter wheels/tires. Tire date code was 2213 so I believe the seller; that they came off a 2013 truck and sensors should still be good.

1 Will 2013 TPMS sensors work on a 2011 truck?

I always cross reference my parts with a dealer you know has the correct parts. I use for example rockauto.com because they have OEM P/N's

2011 P/N's Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 15254101, 15922396, 20923680, 22853741, 25799331, 4313085Z00, 4313085Z01

2013 P/N's Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 15254101, 15922396, 20923680, 22853741, 25799331, 4313085Z00, 4313085Z01

Looks like a yes!

2 If I mark my current wheels/tires locations when I remove them, will they work Ok when I switch back next summer? As in; will the truck "know" the pressure and location of each wheel/tire/sensor?

I dont believe so. I would imagine the computer would only allow for 4 to be programmed at a time. But I could be wrong.

3 Will the truck "see" the 2013 wheel/tire/sensors, but just not know their location? If yes, I am thinking I can just set the air psi at 25, 30, 35 & 40 and then see where the DIC says they are located and move them to the correct position(s) and reset to correct pressure. Worst case I have to swap all four to different locations.

To program you can read your owners manual. I believe the process is something like resetting the tire pressure sensor in cab to learn mode then let pressure out of a tire and learn its position.

4 If a reset tool HAS to be used, any recommendations for brand/model?

I believe that you should be able to do everything from your in cab computer. Check your owners manual or maybe youtube a video.

Not a whole lot of info for you, sorry. But I hope its a start.

My owners manual tells how to get to " TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE" Then says to use a reset tool. Nothing about letting air out to reset. I think that was previous years. Looks Like I will need a reset tool.

I am guessing if I pull my current tires I will lose their programming.???

Each sensor has a serial number that is recorded in the truck's computer at a specific location i.e. RF, LF, RR, LR. Any time you move a sensor by rotating your tires/wheels you will lose the location but it will still read the sensor and assign it to the programmed location in your DIC. If you change the wheels with different sensors in them, you will not have any readings at all and just an error message until you reprogram the truck using a reset tool.

Whether you have two or more sets or even just one, you need the reset/activation tool to change positions or to different sensors. The process is the same whether rotating or replacing summer to winter , etc.

Some of the easy program sensors on the market can be programmed to the same serial numbers as your original, but, that is really pointless as you will still need the tool to set the proper location.

I have my own tool (Orange electronics) which was made by ATEQ and does most vehicles that don't need a magnet like some Fords or other high end vehicles that require special equipment to make computer changes as needed. I can reset from my summer to winter tires in less than a minute.

Archived