Silverado 1500 has best monthly sales in 10 years

Zane

SilveradoBestSales.jpeg

By Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
10/2/2014

The all new Silverado is a hot seller. Chevrolet sold over 50,000 of the new model in September. The truck now occupies 39% of the large pickup market.

The strong monthly sales numbers represent a 54% increase over the same period in 2013.

Light duty Silverado sales rose 71% and had the strongest month in a decade. The Silverado's new double cab is also proving to be popular, with sales of the shorter two door model up 130% over last year.

The brand also noted it had sold approximately 2,000 of the special 2014 Rally Edition pickups.

“Our Chevrolet dealers took advantage of pent-up demand in the full-size truck segment and by offering customers more choices, we’re bringing more truck buyers to Chevrolet at the expense of some of our competitors,” said Brian Sweeney, U.S. vice president, Chevrolet. “We intend to continue this momentum with new models such as the Rally Edition – released in August – and the High County HD, which shipped to dealers last month.”

SilveradoBestSales.jpeg

SilveradoBestSales.jpeg

SilveradoBestSales.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many of them vibrate at highway speeds.

Bet a lot it's the tires. I've had so many problems with tires on every Chevy truck I've purchased since 1994. I'm almost to where I'd want to buy new tires on a brand new truck when I get the next one.

My '07 had the best tires I'd ever seen on a OEM. Bridgestone Duellers. Got 33k miles out of them - a personal record. Too bad the rest of the truck wasn't as good ..

I'm not surprised at the 50k figure. Look at what we have for a congress .....

My '07 had the best tires I'd ever seen on a OEM. Bridgestone Duellers. Got 33k miles out of them - a personal record. Too bad the rest of the truck wasn't as good ..

I tried to get Duellers on one once. My 2000 Silverado had a vibration with some Goodyears, and the dealer put a set of Duellers on the truck to test. They rode perfectly and smooth, but the dealership would not honor the warranty with a different brand. Tried to replace when needed later on with Duellers, but everyone continued to tell me "they were not the best tire" from the dealership to a few tire guys. I wish I'd gone with my intuition now... I did end up with some nice Firestones (actually the off brand Firestone, much cheaper) on that truck, and got well over 50K out of them.

Edited by Nargg

Well when you have 10k in rebates and additional incentives makes sense why sales would increase. Sells wouldn't be where they are without the 10k in rebates.

That's been Ford's trick over the past couple of decades. Deep discounts to make it the cheapest truck on the market. Without that, they'd not be #1. Lately though, Ford doesn't seem to be nearly as nice on price.

None of them are. They know that people still want trucks and are willing to pay for them. The big three still make most of their money from truck/SUV sales.

No one is paying very close to MSRP from what I'm seeing aroun here. Why don't they price them right and stop the incentive nonsense?

I know "people are stupid", but does the desire to get a deal really run that deep?

Edited by SnakeEyes