Bad service- possible new recall - Bad warranty

Went for a trip with new truck and camper. Went well 365 miles to camp ground in Indiana but on way home it went bad. Stop at rest area walking back to truck oil all over the ground. Called gm road side assistant and was told that t they would only tow truck and not camper. While on phone for 45 minutes I went under truck and found oil filter was lose. I tightened it up. Asked rep if i could take it to nearest dealer to have it checked, was told to take it to Dealer in Auburn Indiana and they would call and let them know what was going on. Got to dealer at 12.30 PM on Friday and was told that i did not buy it their and that they could not look at it. Was told to to take it to dealer in Angola Indiana 29 miles away. Left dealer and stopped in at auto zone and picked up oil an filter and oil filter wrench. Checked filter lose again tighten with wrench. I live in Livonia Mich, thought it would B ok. Not so came lose again. Put new filter on old one lose on threads and new one also. Got home and took it to my dealer and the threads on the shaft under sized had to replace oil pan. The added pressure in tow haul mode pulling trailer added to the failure. Also was told by GM that my warranty started when dealer got the truck and not when I bought it. Said I only had 30 months warranty. I asked GM rep so if you buy a left over model the warranty started when the dealer got it. THEY SAID YES. So a brand new truck left over that is a year or two old is almost out of warranty. GM said yes. That is the way they have always have done it. I could not believe what she was saying. I just bought my last GM truck.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was always under the assumption you can take a GM vehicle to any GM dealership? I was also under the assumption your warranty didnt start until you bought the truck.

To me theres some mis-communication here, GM just had a brain fart, or your leaving something out of the story. Maybe oil filters are not covered under warranty? Seems to me there is more to the story? Was the truck brand new or new to you?

warranty starts once vehicle is sold originally, not when dealer recieves the truck lmao. don't know who you talk to...this whole story sounds odd,, seems to be some details left out, important ones

I cant get passed hes pulling a camper with a V6, who does that?

You'd be surprised how many people DON'T know how to properly tow trailers and haul loads. I admit I personally didn't know either. Burned up the transmission on a Dodge Dakota, overloaded my 2007 silverado.....I learned a lot of lessons the hard way because no one really taught me otherwise and I guess I never really asked either. I was ignorant. And driving down the interstate, so are a lot of other people! I saw a guy towing a car on a trailer with a Toyota Tacoma and pushing 65-70 mph. I'm thinking "dude you are destroying your driveline right now!"

There's a form you sign when you take delivery with the date and mileage. That's when your warranty starts. At least here in Texas.

Yes its like that every where. When truck is brand new you get 36k bumper 100k power train after the miles that are on it brand new. So if you bought it brand new with 12 miles you have until 36,012 and 100, 012 miles of warranty. If you bought it used then you only get whats left on the truck, which is a universal practice not just inclusive to GM.

But I would agree depending on travel trailer, why would you tow it with this engine.

That original post was a hard read for sure. I have never heard of a dealer refusing warranty work because the vehicle wasn't purchased there.

Possibly he bought a "Demonstrator", where the truck had actually been put in service by the dealer. In this case, my understanding is that the original GM warranty started when the vehicle was put in service. Usually if it's a dealer "Demo", a reputable dealer will cover whatever amount of time had expired from the original GM warranty themselves.

The warranty starts the day YOU take delivery, not when the dealer gets the truck in. Any GM dealer CAN and is UNDER OBLIGATION to work on a GM vehicle under GM FACTORY WARRANTY. How big is your camper? What cab/bed configuration is your truck?

Possibly he bought a "Demonstrator", where the truck had actually been put in service by the dealer. In this case, my understanding is that the original GM warranty started when the vehicle was put in service. Usually if it's a dealer "Demo", a reputable dealer will cover whatever amount of time had expired from the original GM warranty themselves.

DEMO vehicles have never technically been put in service, as they've never been titled. So the warranty should start when he takes delivery. Maybe it was a loaner vehicle, my dealer has a bunch of them they sell off with around 10,000-15,000 miles or so on them, they have been titled/tagged and technically were owned by the dealership.

Archived