I've towed but never with a manual brake controller

So what is the proper way to use it? If it's configured correctly, I step on the brake and the trailer brakes activate in sync with the truck and the whole thing is seamless. Why would I need to activate the trailer brakes manually?

Also, those who have used tow/haul on a steep down grade, what kinds of RPMs are you seeing on the down hill (say, 10% 3-4mi downhill, towing 8500lbs) w/ the 5.3? I was toying around with tow/haul unloaded on a shorter grade, unloaded no trailer, and I saw the tach jump up to 4200 to keep my speed down. Seemed high, although it worked. Thoughts/comments?

So what is the proper way to use it? If it's configured correctly, I step on the brake and the trailer brakes activate in sync with the truck and the whole thing is seamless. Why would I need to activate the trailer brakes manually?

Also, those who have used tow/haul on a steep down grade, what kinds of RPMs are you seeing on the down hill (say, 10% 3-4mi downhill, towing 8500lbs) w/ the 5.3? I was toying around with tow/haul unloaded on a shorter grade, unloaded no trailer, and I saw the tach jump up to 4200 to keep my speed down. Seemed high, although it worked. Thoughts/comments?

If the gain is set properly you shouldn't need to use the manual lever.

Sometimes I have found that I want a bit more pull from the trailer coming to a stop and I'll reach up and give it a little boost with the manual lever. Especially when coming down steep grades.

As for the RPM. This is normal with active grade braking on. If you want to turn it off hold in the tow/haul button for five seconds and it will disable itself.

The tow haul, and grade braking work great.....love it. As far as the manual braking on the controller, if the trailer starts swaying, stay off the tow vehicle brakes, and using the manual braking on the controller (trailer) will help in pull everything back in line

Not to hijack,

but I just bought an 02 2500 with a brake controller. My new to me 20 ft trailer has brakes on front axle. I have towed a lot from s10 to 18 wheeler, but not controller. How do you determine what to set the gain on? Leave the same as empty and turn it up when 6000 lb tractor loaded or okay to leave it on loaded setting when empty? I do not want to burn up tires, brakes or run into someone. I might scratch my tractor.

thanks.

You'll have to adjust the gain to fit the load you are hauling. Typically, more weight would require more gain. If the gain is too high when you are empty, you run the risk of locking up the trailer tires by simply "tapping" the brake pedal.

Like Chevyboy86 said, set it to where it is comfortable and just drive!

My Prodigy Brake Controller has Boost Settings......set the Boost for towing heavier loads may work.....I boost mine when hitting big grades, but usually the Tow/Haul Mode and Grade Braking do most of the work

As stated earlier, the manual lever is used when the trailer gets into a sway. Don't let off the gas and lay on the trailer brakes.

I strongly suggest you practice applying trailer brakes manually. Sucks to need them and not know where or how to do it.

I was told a long time ago to set the gain so that the trailer tires just didn't lock up at 20 mph.

Find the gain setting for the load and return to it each time. Most of us have just a couple settings so it's not that hard to recall.

Its harder to remember to set it each time the load changes.

The "boost" is a ramp from no gain to your gain setting. It can be set to linear, quick ramp to gain (lot of gain on initial braking) and slow ramp to gain (the harder you push, the more trailer brake is applied). Its a preference, so experiment and see which one you and your truck likes.

Archived