2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon Sales Halted

Zane

2015_Colorado_Canyon07.jpg

By Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
10/3/2014

Sales of the new 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon have been halted. Automotive News reports that Chevy and GMC dealers received notice yesterday (Thursday, Oct 2nd) of a pending issue that may effect the airbags.

Deliveries for the just launched midsize pickup started under two weeks ago. We just had our first drive of the Colorado and Canyon last week.

General Motors has notified the National Traffic and Safety Administration that driver's side airbags are wired incorrectly and may not function as designed. The issue is reported to be fixable with a software update.

So far 49 of the pickups have been delivered. Owners will be given a free loaner until the software update is available "in a few days."

Source: Automotive News

Come on GM, this is getting ridiculous. Make sure it works before you decide to sell it, and get some quality control at the plants. It's just getting embarrassing for you and for fans/ owners of the brands you sell. :banghead:

I have a couple of "friends" with Ford trucks. I always hear about the recalls and problems

with GM. They not only send me info, I can also expect a text. I just heard about the latest

issues with airbags. They are better than OnStar.

They really need to stop sourcing out over 50% of the part content to non American company's in the name of picking the lowest bid. Pretty pathetic when a Toyota is actually more American under the body panels and hood then a Chevy! The cheapness is showing drastically too with the shear amount of part failures and software glitches they have been having these last few years!

Beta testing is for losers.

Just ask Apple. After that last IOS update. It disabled everyone's phone ability. :banghead: You'd think somewhere along the lines they'd test SOMETHING.

Seriously tho, GM's name is mud right now in the news. If I wasn't such a GM apologizer/fanboy I'd totally feel they weren't a good brand. I know better though. (for better or worse. :lol:)

Come on GM, this is getting ridiculous. Make sure it works before you decide to sell it, and get some quality control at the plants. It's just getting embarrassing for you and for fans/ owners of the brands you sell. :banghead:

The plants aren't at fault. All the plants do is assemble everything. The problem is all of the outsourcing with all of the different companies. That's why you see recalls with all brands. I do agree with the quality control though. But, because of all of the outsourcing, quality control could be with the companies, not GM or their assembly plants.

"airbags are wired incorrectly"

"fixable with a software update."

so fixing hardware with software is a thing?

Maybe the computer can allow the signal to be swapped over instead of a two pin swap.

I don't remmeber getting a warranty from GM suppliers or vendors with the exception being tires, therefore 100% of the blame for GM problems fall on GM and GM alone. I haven't seen any of the vendors or suppliers advertising their products "as seen on the 20?? whatever."

For some reason the "norm" for GM has been converted to pushing out the product and worrying about fixing it later or very low engineering and quality control procedures.

I don't remmeber getting a warranty from GM suppliers or vendors with the exception being tires, therefore 100% of the blame for GM problems fall on GM and GM alone. I haven't seen any of the vendors or suppliers advertising their products "as seen on the 20?? whatever."

For some reason the "norm" for GM has been converted to pushing out the product and worrying about fixing it later or very low engineering and quality control procedures.

Suppliers never advertise like you describe but honestly outside of the body, power train and computer controllers, GM and every other brand don't make much of the vehicle these days.

That said, GM is supposed to have quality checks in place to prevent bad parts from being used and that has failed horribly on the past few launches.

Suppliers never advertise like you describe but honestly outside of the body, power train and computer controllers, GM and every other brand don't make much of the vehicle these days.

That said, GM is supposed to have quality checks in place to prevent bad parts from being used and that has failed horribly on the past few launches.

I agree and that's exactly my point. GM Suppliers and Vendors never advertise or provide a warranty, so they should never be blamed, as far as the consumer is concerned anyway.

I have no way to know for sure but I am willing to bet that the vendor absolutely has a warranty it gives to GM/whoever. The Japanese airbag company (Takarta or something like that) that is responsible for like a million defective units is likely on the hook for that. Sarah works for a supplier so maybe she can chime in.

Archived