GM Warranty

DarylZ71 the warranty terms of the 09 GM vehicle is more comprehensive then current model year warranty. My 09 G8 GT warranty was way better than what I currently have ln my 2014 Sierra. If you search GM warranty changes you will find the article that itemizes what used to be cover compared to now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Most and just about all current manufactures do not cover BCM/TCM or electronics for more than the time the bumper to bumper coverage applies!! This is true what the O.P has stated. The PCM is warrantied under the emissions warranty!! 80000km for GM> However the BCM and TCM are not covered!!! And if the transmission does fail do to a TCM issue. It will be dependant upon how the dealer deals with the issue to see if they rebuild your transmission etc..

My father deals with warranty as a Profession And this is true with most automotive and Highway equipment.

Just my 2cs

I did just get the extended warranty as well. $$ yes. But it will give me something to yell about pending and issue. LOL

I read here I think that a vacuum pump failed on a 5.3 ( another wonderful by product of the V4) after the bumper to bumper warranty but before the engine warranty expired. The failure effective the engine and was not covered for warranty engine repair. The wonderful games that are played.

I'm a high mileage user and can put over 100,000km (62,000miles) per year so I usually buy a protection package. Most of the time it's a waste of money because the trucks today (no matter which brand, make or model) are very well built and reliable and most troubles will happen under the factory warranties. Having said that one of our Tundra's had a sensor bank go bank and the cost of the extra warranty made it more than worth it as it was something that wouldn't have been covered under the factory warranty. I also had a 2014 Ram that blew an axle seal and I didn't have the warranty and cost $3200 in collateral damage. Thankfully, the dealer found some loopholes and it only cost me around $500 and they were able to manipulate the reset of the cost because I was a loyal customer. A regular buyer wouldn't have had that advantage so I lucked out.

I don't think extended warranties are worth it for average use individuals but it can definitely be beneficial in some circumstances like mine.

Also, having said I'm a high mileage user I lucked out with some work near home lately so I'm around 50,000km's (31,000miles) per year. I bought a protection package for 160,000kms (99,000 miles) and it may or may not be worth it.

Archived