Chevy sanctions frame twist test - Silverado HD vs Ford Super Duty

Zane

Silverado-2500HD-vs-Ford-F-250-Frame-Twist.jpg

By Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
10/15/2014

Chevrolet is putting the 2015 Silverado 2500HD head to head against the 2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty. In a recent test completed and certified by AMCI, the two heavy-duty pickups were subjected to a frame twist test.

The test includes driving a vehicle up onto two staggered ramps. The deflection from the bed to the body is then measured. The tailgate is also operated under stress to test for binding and warping.

After AMCI's third-party testing was complete, the Silverado 2500HD proved to be stronger than the Ford F-250. While Silverado HD only allowed .26-inches of twist, Ford Super Duty's frame warped .94-inches. Even worse, the Ford's tailgate was bound shut, unable to be opened.

Chevrolet credits the use of high-strength roll-formed steel in the Silverado's bed for the strong results. Ford uses a less durable stamped steel.

Take a look at how the test was completed for yourself.

“The use of high-strength steel in the Silverado HD is what allows the Silverado to handle even the toughest of jobs,” said Jeff Luke, General Motors’ executive chief engineer for full-size trucks. “Paired with a fully boxed frame, high-strength steel is what makes the Silverado come from the family of the most dependable, longest-lasting full-size pickups on the road.”

main reason I bought a 2011HD the brakes, frame and other improvements they made. The motor has been proven for along time and the 6 speed had a couple years of updates. Would I like a 2015? sure I would but I bought GM because they are long lasting whenb taken car of.

main reason I bought a 2011HD the brakes, frame and other improvements they made. The motor has been proven for along time and the 6 speed had a couple years of updates. Would I like a 2015? sure I would but I bought GM because they are long lasting whenb taken car of.

Even so, the 2011 chassis and motors are the same on the K2 2500's

k2 whats that

GM chassis codes. Your 2011 is a GMT-900 HD frame (body style from 2007-2013). The new HD and 1500, etc. are K2XX. Although, the HD trucks still ride on the 2011 GMT-900 frame and have the same powertrain, they use the K2XX body, etc.

And secretly, K2XX is pretty much the GMT-900 frame, but its like GMT-900.5, just a revised version.

for 2011HD frame rails were now fully boxed from front to back like a half-ton, and many under truck changes including bigger brakes and bearings for the 2011HD before 2011 it was not the same frame. Ride improved too because the cab mounts that's the 1st year of a denail HD. pretty much after 2011 the HD has been one tough truck.

for 2011HD frame rails were now fully boxed from front to back like a half-ton, and many under truck changes including bigger brakes and bearings for the 2011HD before 2011 it was not the same frame. Ride improved too because the cab mounts that's the 1st year of a denail HD. pretty much after 2011 the HD has been one tough truck.

Ya 2007-2010 was the 2001-2007 frame with updated body mounts if I recall correctly. So it was new body style on a carry over frame.

The pictures sure make it look a lot worse than numbers might indicate.

Mike

Part of that is because while the front of the bed shows some twist, a lot occurs between the front and rear of the bed. So while it may only be 1" between the cab and front of the bed, it's even more of a difference between the cab and tailgate. It would be interesting to see it with a string run next to a body line.

• 4 weeks later...

But FORD trucks are built FORD TOUGH and have SUPER DUTY in capital letters on the back!

surely that has to mean something??

if the SUPER DUTY trucks twist that much I can only imagine what their REGULAR duty or light duty trucks are like! LMAO!

I would like to know how many miles they plan to get out of the eco boost engines. everyone knows when you add boost to anything it won't last as long. but then again ford only expects their vehicles to last 100k miles before you drive them to the junk yard anyway. because they aren't really known for reliability anyway.

maybe they just found a new way for the frame and the drive train to fail about around the same time so that the decision to replace the engine at 100k is an easy one because the rest of the truck is falling apart and not worth another drivetrain?

dunno. never liked ford. I love the video of their test track against the tundra showing all the frame twist. they figured out the perfect speed to drive their truck so it doesn't look so bad. then increase that speed for the Toyota to make it look worse.

look online someplace for the raptor that was jumped. the entire truck folded in half when it landed and totaled it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived