Cruise control install

Has anyone installed an aftermarket cruise control?   I have a 99 GMC sierra, and it did not come with it.   I called the local GM dealer and they no longer sell cruise control kits to install.

Anyone know of a good cruise control to install.  I know our autozone here has an audiovox one for $69, but it mounts to the dash, not the turn lever.   And how hard are these to due anyways?

Thank for any info on this.

:crackup:

NO Way Jose!   Don't do it!

I know you want it BUT:  Aftermarket Cruise control is a far cry from the factory version.

If you cannot get FACTORY cruise through the dealer (or possibly through a junkyard).  Then I would suggest that you skip it and get it on your next truck.

I added one once.....it would let go, accelerate, shut off and do all sorts of screwball things for no reason.  My biggest frustration was that I could not adjust the acceleration mode.

Example:  CC holding at 65mph...you hit a slight incline, the speed drops to 63 mph and the CC gives you wide open throttle to catch up.  My aftermarket unit ALWAYS gave 100% wide open acceleration without regard to the situation.  And I could not adjust it no matter what.

Then there was the slow dow mode....well just face it....aftermarket CC simply did NOT work like I hoped it would.

What did work......I added a throttle control (Yup like a dang lawnmower) to my 1979 Stubby 4X4.  It worked vey well! Run her up to 2000 rpm, pull out the throttle and it would hold like a champ.  Of course the only drawback was that it wouldn't slow you down on a downhill (sorta let you runaway) and it wouldn't hold a given speed uphill......but it sure did good for my long trip fuel economy!

Thanks for the information.

I felt that way about aftermarket stuff, until I was taking with the GM parts manager here in town, and he told me the GM cruise control is made by audiovax?   I went to there website and you can buy the oem crusie, but not from the website,only from a dealer, and well since you can't buy from the dealer anymore???????

I put an Audiovox one on my 2001 Blazer and it worked great. Never had any problems with it in 30,000 miles. The dealer did the recall for the multifunction switch and screwed up by putting in a cruise control/turn signal lever in. Instead of them pulling it back out, they just gave me a copy of the wiring diagram and I wired it to the Audiovox cruise. Looked factory and worked good. If I had to do it all over again though, I would probably look on E-bay or junk yards for the factory unit and lever. The wiring is probably already there.

silverado man Posted on Mar. 10 2003,5:24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get the part number(s) and try to shop at one of our online preffered vendors over there <------.  

Anyone have them there #'s?

Years ago I installed a unit made by Speed-O-Sat or at least that is what I think the name of the company was but it was place on the turn signal lever and it worked out great.  If you could find one made by them it was a very simple install that you could do in an afternoon, with just common hand tools.  It would acclerate, and coast just like the factory ones do now and that was back in the 80's

I installed the same audiovox unit on my 01 S10 last fall, and it works great.  Install was not bad, but the directions were not up to date.  Some searching of the web found the correct wires to tie into.  It took me three evenings to instll it.  One to moutn the hardware under the hood, one to run the wires and hook up under the hood to the computer, etc, and one to do all the hook ups in the cab.  These were short nights, and I am a perfectionist, so I spent extra time making sure everythign was perfect.

silverado man Posted on Mar. 10 2003,5:24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get the part number(s) and try to shop at one of our online preffered vendors over there <------.  

Anyone have them there #'s?

I don't have the part #'s but if you call the dealer they should be able to get them for you.  I know that elk said they don't sell the kit but they should have to part numbers in there system.

Archived