Snow Chains on 2010 4WD 2500HD

Making a trip to the mountains this winter and wondering if snow chains are needed with a 4WD truck. I also read in the manual that for my size tires (275/55/20), snow chains are not recommended. I've never used snow chains before, but it sure looks like there is plenty of clearance for them. Anybody have any advice on this? Thanks in advance!

What tires do you have? A lot depends on where you are going in the mountains. A good snow rated all terrain will be ok on a 4x4 in the snow. It wouldn't hurt to carry chains though.

^^ I agree.. I only would be using chain as a last resort or if the road had 4+ inches of snow on it

It had 20" wheels with 305/55 tires on it when I bought it used. The door jam shows the original tires as 265/70/17. To try and get it back to original diameter, I put a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ All-Season Tires. They have a 7/10 winter traction rating. My owner's manual shows the 275/55/20 as an optional tire size. I have bought a set of OEM wheels with full intention of getting it back to factory tires but the dang wheels I have now are growing on me.

Chains are for icy/heavily packed snow. (same purpose as studs) in a loose / fresh /slushy snow conditions they hurt your traction performance. A good true snow tire, 500 pounds in the box and a helping of common sense will see you through any conditions. If the roads get bad enough to merit chains you should wait it out anyways. Chains and some salt/sand mix in the box is great if you're off the beaten path. Just make sure you practice putting them on before you really need to

Chains are for icy/heavily packed snow. (same purpose as studs) in a loose / fresh /slushy snow conditions they hurt your traction performance. A good true snow tire, 500 pounds in the box and a helping of common sense will see you through any conditions. If the roads get bad enough to merit chains you should wait it out anyways. Chains and some salt/sand mix in the box is great if you're off the beaten path. Just make sure you practice putting them on before you really need to

Thanks for the reminder about some weight in the back. You're right, if I can wait it out that's what I'd do. Will probably have the chains just in case I get caught while out.

• 2 years later...

If you've never tried them you won't believe the traction they add, even on a 4x4.

I've mainly used them on my suburban but this past winter I had to use the truck to pull an e-350 with a seized wheel out of a dry parking spot where my truck was on snowy surface. Only needed to put them on the fronts but without them there was no way it was gonna happen (tried it). I love them. Mine are made by Thule.

Archived