Extended Cab doors speaker replacement

There are 2 7mm screws in the door.  One in the bottom of the hand grip, and one in the bottom of the cup-holder.

After you remove them, remove the gromet (trim colored plastic) around the door handle.

Then start at the top inside(corner closest to truck when door is open), and pull on the door panel.  There are "press" fittings all around the door.

There is a hanger/weight support between the doors' pull handle and door handle.  Once you have pulled out all of the press fittings, lift up on the door panel approximately 3-4" and it should come right off.  

I have pics somewhere if you are interested, but I don't have them online, I will have to e-mail them.

Thanks for the info MarkD.....Here's another dumb question:I'm buying 4X6 plate speakers for the rear doors....Plate speakers have seperate mid's and tweeters.....Which way should the plate be mounted for best sound?...With the tweeter forward or rear?.....Just a thought that entered my head being they can be mounted either way....

Before you go too far................. I used to work at Circuit City, and we replaced many a rear 4x6 in the new trucks with 5 1/4 by just triming a little and a small sheet of Dynomat. Provides a huge improvement over ANY 4x6 set up.

• 1 month later...
I'm partial to Polk speakers, but for running on the stock deck the best bang for the buck would be some regular two way Kenwood or equivelent speakers. It should run you about 60 to 110 for a decent pair of 5 1/4's. Also remember to get soem dynomat material to put under them to help seal the door after the cut is made. If you have any questions on putting them in go by a Circuit City and talk to their installers and tell them what you are trying to do. You can also by speaker harness adaptors from them to make the wires plug and play.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I bought some 4x6 clarions. I pulled the rear door off as described by MarkD. Everything went as planned, however...the way the speaker is connect to the door is by a clip. This means I am going to have to drill new holes to mount my speaker. Consequently, I don't know how to do that, so I can "screw" the speaker to the door. In other words, how will the threading work and all that...I am not too sure of that. I put it all back on, because I didn't want to just start drilling and mess it up.

Also, is dynomat something I could get at Best Buy or Circuit CIty?

Thanks! :cheers:

dynomat=yes but you can find it much cheaper on ebay, I have heard that brown bread makes a good product also

for the 4x6's use some sheet metal screws and a small bit to start the hole or just get some tek screws (self taping sheet metal screws) just dont over tighten

Ok, good reply on the self tapping sheet metal screws, I totally forgot about those! Good call. :cheers:

Another question, how to remove the FRONT door of the same extended cab? It has electrical stuff all over the place, light, locks, etc... this would be a WHOLE lot simpler if the grille came off giving you access to the speaker. :sigh:

On that note, my front doors have holes for 6.5" speakers AND a 3.5" speaker. The 3.5" speaker is what Chevy put in there! I was pissed, I thought I had at least a 6.5" stock up there, but not so.

Thanks. :uhoh:

pop the control panel out, the one with the window and door lock buttons there is a hex head screw there and one under the handle, take those out pop the triange piece out at the top by the side vent then pull straight up

NO

once the screws are out just grab the arm rest and pick up. the only thing that will get in the way is the plastic part around the door handle but that pops out easily. Watch for the speaker wire that goes to the tweeter and the wire that goes to the light on the door panel. easy once you have done it

• 4 weeks later...

I must be stoopid. My tweeter fell out yesterday. When I was trying to get the door panel off, I couldn't find a way to pop the cover for the switches (windows, mirrors, locks) in order to get at the last bolt. I tried to pry it with a screwdriver but backed off when it didn't give.

And how do you get the triangle plastic piece off (the one at the top of the panel.)? It seems like it's glued on.

I don't have time to leave my truck at the dealer right now so any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Archived