Up-sizing wheels & tires while keeping OEM spare

I haven't looked under mine, but I now wonder about the biggest tire size that can fit under the bed without hitting my dual tailpipes.

Most seem to keep the spare OEM size. Some people once they get to a certain size they just ditch the spare completely, wouldn't be right to have a 31" tall spare with 38-40"+ tires. Especially since it's bad for both the steering and axles to have 2 completely different height tires on them. That's why they say if you have a FWD car with the small donut spare to put the spare on the rear even if the flat is on the front (so have to move one from the rear to the front and then spare on the rear).

I don't plan on lifting my current truck anyways. I want new rims, but I will keep stock tire size including rims size (18").

I attempted to order the matching OE 20" on my SLT and the service tech said it will not fit....

Unless the tire height on the 20s are different I don't see why a factory rim wouldn't fit under the bed. Same as if you get bigger rims but keep the tires the same height then it would fit on the truck without changing anything else.

I attempted to order the matching OE 20" on my SLT and the service tech said it will not fit....

He was wrong. A GM OEM 20" rim will fit using the existing factory spare winch cable but does require a different winch cable for the OEM Optional 22" wheel. GM offers both cables. I know, as I purchased and installed a 5th 20" Denali wheel with a Toyo ATii OC xTreme 295/55/R20 mounted as my spare.

Rewillia

thanks for your input. Please clarify for me however... are you saying you need a new winch cable for the 20 or the 22"? also, would you mind snapping a photo of the OEM 20" under your truck? The service department insists it will not fit

thanks

My original spare was stolen... since its covered under insurance, the agent offered to cover an original OE if I wanted it. If it fits, I would love to see what it looks like below your truck if you dont mind. I appreciate your time :)

The spare, 17", 18", 20" and 22" wheels are all very close in overall height.

Does anyone know exactly the relative height and width difference between the OEM 18s, 20s, and 22s

Archived