Bluetooth Microphone quality

Hey yall,

this is a little thing that I'm just wondering..

I had hands free bluetooth through onstar or whatever, with my Iphone in my 2012 camaro and the quality was always very good. I could even have a conversation with my windows down.

Since moving to the truck however, I get a lot of "I'm sorry I couldn't understand you, you sound muffled" type comments from my conversations, even with the windows up in this very quiet truck. I've also had Siri lose her mind, telling me to unlock my phone when the phones already unlocked, asking me mobile or home when I already said home, telling me she can't help me multiple times in a row.

Yesterday I tried to call my parents home number while I was out driving and I had to pull over. I had to tell her SIX TIMES before she recognized the name, then asked me for home/mobile even though I said home. Then I had to practically yell at my parents for them to understand me.

Has anyone else had a similar circumstance?

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my mic, or if this is just a thing in these trucks. I'm also wondering.. if it is a "thing" in the trucks.. if I can like.. buy a microphone from another vehicle (like one for a 2012 camaro) and put it in my truck, so that people can understand me.

Thanks yall!

No in fact I specifically ask people every now and then what I sound like to be sure and they tell me it sounds like I'm talking into the phone itself. I even called my friend who has a 2010 Sierra and we were both using blu tooth and it was crystal clear. It sounds like you may have a microphone issue with your truck or maybe the infotainment software needs to be updated.

Hrmm, does anyone know the part # for the microphone? I'm wondering how expensive they are.

i know in my 2012 camaro you could talk normally, even at a low volume and the other party could hear and understand you. In this thing I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language. :lol: "you have to unlock your iphone first." .. my phone IS unlocked!

If I wasn't getting comments from friends/family/co-workers I'd think it was a siri problem.

I find that I need to project my voice up towards the mic. And expecting to drive with the window down and talk on the phone is a little ridiculous. Other than that, no one on the other line ever complains about my voice quality.

Take the dip out of your mouth before talking on the phone maybe people will be able to hear you better. :M16:

come on man..

I'm not expecting to talk with the windows down. I can be completely stopped, air off, in a low noise area, windows up.. and people still can barely understand me. This afternoon I tried to call my dad on the way home from lunch. It took 4 tries for siri to understand me! I've NEVER had that problem before in any other vehicle! (and I don't have it when shes not on bluetooth.)

Also.. just cos I'm from the south doesn't mean I dip. (although I do have some co-workers that do..)

In my 2011 Silverado, the microphone fell out of it's holder in the roof liner. You couldn't see this as it fell back inside the liner. I complained to the dealership that I thought the mic was failing, and they found this issue and fixed it. Worked like a charm after that.

I checked my microphone today, it seems to be attached, but the cable is just long enough for it to barely come out of the hole in the headliner. I'm wondering if its pulled too tightly or something.

This is just one of those things I doint think the dealer would be able to troubleshoot or determine.

Does anyone have a part # for this thing? If its not too expensive I may just buy a new one and see if it improves. I have a lot of play in it in the hole in the headliner. In fact if you dont position it just right it either falls out or the hole in the headliner is visible.

My voice sounded OK, but the person on the other end was somewhat broken or with static. Still bearable though. Once my radio module was replaced everything is crystal clear.

Even when I had the old module, no one had any issues hearing me. darkfox1, you need to get things checked out by your dealer.

Archived