Just how much abuse can the GM 6 speed transmissions in the 08 and up half tons take?

I have a Diablo Trinity 1000, but all I have done so far is disable the AFM. Is it ok to install the full tune that has torque management disabled? I was reading a few other forums last night that indicated these tranny's act weird when you change the programming or remove torque management.

My plan is to go up to 33 inch tires. I still want to be able to walk on er once in a while. Do you think the 6 speed can handle 33's and a little extra HP for the long term? I don't want to spend big dollars outfitting the truck only to find out the transmission can't take a little extra power with 1.4 inch bigger tires than stock.

A properly done tune and those tires won't hurt a thing. Stock tires are already somewhere around a 32" and the same trans is used on the Camaro with 400 HP. My tires aren't quite 33s but I've had the trans tuned for almost two years and routinely use empty on ramps as an excuse to bury the pedal and nothing broke yet. :lol:

Thanks guys.

I don't know what it is lately but I can't seem to stop walking on er once and a while. I never used to do that. Ever since I disabled AFM and put a Diablo tune in, this thing drives like a completely different truck.

They can take a pretty good amount as long as they are tuned with some torque management left in. My truck had really firm shifts and didn't pull timing in shifts when it was tuned N/A by BB, but when it got supercharged it would flare shifts. So now he has added the torque management back and it shifts great even when beating on it. My truck has 60k on it now and has been tuned for probably 40 or 50 thousand of those miles and now has been supercharged for 2-3 thousand.

Archived