remote door lock receiver change out

I want to change my 1997 Silverado 2 door extended cab remote door lock receiver and up grade to the 2005 remote receiver as I am tired of having to be 10 feet or closer to the vehicle and sometimes the transmitter will not even work that close unless I turn around 3 time wiggle my butt and jump up and down and touch my nose 3 times even with a brand new battery in the transmitter. My Son's 2005 receiver on his Impalla works flawlessly from 40 or 50 feet every time. So I want to change out the antiquated remote door lock receiver to the 05 or newer. What is involved in changing the receiver other than maybe the plugs being different and of course having to have the transmitters for that particular unit. Has anyone tried to change out the receiver to the newer ones. I do know they are different because the transmitters cannot be interchange even with trying to program them, even though they transmit at the same frequency not sure why that is. Any Ideas would be appreciated. In my mind {you know how that goes} A receiver is just a remote receiver that receives the transmitted signal to close a switch and activate the door lock actuators, so seems that any receiver would work but........... Any help or info. is much appreciated, thank you.

Archived