Correct Tire Pressure

I have a new 2014 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 and replaced the 20" chrome wheels and tires with MB TKO wheels and 275/65R18 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires from Discount Tire. They put 40 PSI in the tires. Is that correct or optimum?

I have the same tires on my son's 2010 Silverado LT regular cab and they set his at 35 PSI. 35 PSI is also what I had always set the same tires (not sure if the size is exactly the same) on my 2002 Z10 Suburban.

I run 35 psi cold in my 20" tires. I have experimented with the OEM recommended 32 psi, as well as up 38-40 psi. 35 seems to be the best number for me. I found a lot more tire wobble was present at higher PSI's.

I run 35 psi cold in my 20" tires. I have experimented with the OEM recommended 32 psi, as well as up 38-40 psi. 35 seems to be the best number for me. I found a lot more tire wobble was present at higher PSI's.

But if your tires are LT rated tires, you can run more PSI in them.

Information from Toyo that discusses the replacement of factory P rated tires with LT tires on light trucks: http://toyotires.com/sites/default/files/page-files/TSD-12-011%20Replacing%20Tires%20on%20Light%20Trucks.pdf

^^This^^. Find out what your factory tires were designed to carry at the recommended PSI and look at the inflation table for the new tires. Only "Right" way to do it. If BF Goodrich doesn't offer this you can get close by taking:

Original load rating \ recommended PSI = lbs per PSI for factory tire.

New tire load rating\ lbs per PSI for factory tire = PSI for new tire

Don't know what your truck came with this is an example:

2250 / 32 = 70 lbs per PSI

3250 / 70 = 46 psi

Will not be exact but will get you close, then it is time for chalk.

• Like 1

I put oversize 34" Toyo LT's on mine. Both Discount Tire and Toyo gave me recommendations on the higher pressures to run, and I had the dealer program my TPMS warning accordingly. The dealer did this for free while they were doing one of the many software upgrades/recalls these trucks have been through. I have my warnings set for 45F/40R, I actually run 55F/48R empty, 55 all around when loaded. I have the warnings set lower to avoid nuisance warnings on cold mornings when traveling to areas with lower temperatures. 33K miles now with great results, still getting 20mpg+ overall with oversize tires and a small lift, 4" total higher than stock. I did a Hypertech reprogram to correct the speedometer/odometer, so my mileage figures are accurate. Typically I get 18-20 city, 20-22 highway, 5.3 4x4 3.42. Best 400 mile DIC is 22.9.

• 6 years later...

Question 2016 chevy silverado 1500 ltz- 305/50/R20 120V toyo proxies S/T on 20" aftermarket vision rims. What should the proper inflation be for the front and the back for the best mileage. When bought from dealer 42psi all around. Usually I would go with the manufacturer spec which is 32psi front and 32 psi rear. What do you guys think. I feel as if they're over inflated and looking for advice. Thanks and I hope to get an answer soon.