OEM upgrade to cassette player (cd changer) 2002 SD??

My HU needs to be replaced. It doesn't work all that well and some of the buttons don't light up anymore. The truck has that odd config where the HU is a cassette player and it controls the 6-disc changer in the center stack. I'd like to upgrade it to a touch screen but mine (being a 2002) is that stupid 1.5 din size. Thus, I'd have to change the bezel to the 2003+ and do some silly modding to make things fit or modify my stock one. And even if I did an aftermarket HU, it wouldn't be compatible with the 6-disc changer so I'd have to change that to something too. My easier option seemed to be just replacing the HU with OEM upgrade but I don't think anything exists for that. It is NOT a Bose but I was wondering if the Escalades had a HU that was better I could swap in.

Only thinking this because I swapped in cluster, shift knob, clock and HVAC units from Escalade. Might as well go all the way with it...

Or go with a Bose and just wire it up through an amp? Or is that a huge PITA and not worth it...

That sucks... but it's good to know. Don't want to pursue something that's not there. Thanks for the info.

Over the winter I'll look into modding the dash bezel for double din and get a single din for the CD changer.

Archived