$300 a year for Onstar?

Guapoh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also accept first born or unicorn in lieu.

But seriously I don't understand why it's so expensive. 25 a month for the super duper plan or 9.99 for the basic plan.

But I'm not really interested in either so I haven't called at all. I just get a letter from them every two weeks "sweetening" the deal.

300 is if you want to pay for a full year which will save a little money over paying per month. But that's also for the OnStar Nav which is shitty and isn't worth it. You can pay 200 for a year for the other plan which is everything minus the nav. Monthly the regular plan is 20 and with nav is 30. I just pay the 20 per month since the nav sure as hell isn't worth the extra 10. You still get everything else for the 20, just not the nav. I do have AAA but I guess I feel better with OnStar. Plus I like using the OnStar app on my phone and I like that it does a monthly diagnostics. All of the other stuff you get is just nice to have in case I need it, same with AAA. But, AAA can't unlock your door remotely over the phone or with the phone app. OnStar does have a lot of extra stuff than AAA doesn't offer. To me it's worth the 20 per month. But the added nav for an extra 10 per month isn't worth it, it's not even worth it if it was free.

Just go online on the onstar site and you can pick whatever you want. You can pick and go through everything to keep onstar after the trial ends and they won't charge you until the trial ends. I did it a few months ago and I won't get charged until next month since the trial ends this month.

its a rip off. i wonder if the phone function has to be able to dial 911 no matter what plan you have though...

It doesn't dial 911, just a priority connection to the OnStar rep. Pretty sure if you push the button the call will go through but there won't be any automatic response if you crash.

My trial ends in 60 days as well, let the games begin. I have yet to even use OnStar other than the Mobile App, which is pretty cool. It's my understanding if you use the Mobile App during the trial, you are good to use it for 5 years whether you have OnStar service or not. For those who ditched OnStar, is this true? I already have AAA Premier so OnStar in that respect doesn't appeal to me for the extra cost involved.

My trial ends in 60 days as well, let the games begin. I have yet to even use OnStar other than the Mobile App, which is pretty cool. It's my understanding if you use the Mobile App during the trial, you are good to use it for 5 years whether you have OnStar service or not. For those who ditched OnStar, is this true? I already have AAA Premier so OnStar in that respect doesn't appeal to me for the extra cost involved.

I thought that too at first. I have AAA Plus, but OnStar has things that AAA doesn't offer and it's not just the app. AAA can't help if your truck is stolen, they can't help you and call emergency services if you are in a wreck or witness one. AAA can't unlock your truck remotely over the phone or using the app, they would have to send someone that could take an hour. Also AAA limits how often you use it per year ( at least for a wrecker service), OnStar doesn't. Too me it's worth the 20 per month (30 is with nav which is shitty but for 20 you get everything else).

You're able to use the "remote" function only is my understanding.

You will be able to only use the app like your key fob from anywhere. Which is all I used the app for so I ditched onstar

I thought that too at first. I have AAA Plus, but OnStar has things that AAA doesn't offer and it's not just the app. AAA can't help if your truck is stolen, they can't help you and call emergency services if you are in a wreck or witness one. AAA can't unlock your truck remotely over the phone or using the app, they would have to send someone that could take an hour. Also AAA limits how often you use it per year ( at least for a wrecker service), OnStar doesn't. Too me it's worth the 20 per month (30 is with nav which is shitty but for 20 you get everything else).

Thanks for the responses. I use AAA for peace of mind on the Harley as well as my wife's car (and my old Silverado before I recently sold it). OnStar won't help there but I get where you are coming from. Vehicle thefts in Montana are not that chronic (unless you are dumb enough to leave your keys in the ignition). AAA really bailed my wife out a few years back so I'm a fan. I like the Nav feature of the Mobile App where you can upload an address to your truck and you are all set when you hit the road. Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks for the responses. I use AAA for peace of mind on the Harley as well as my wife's car (and my old Silverado before I recently sold it). OnStar won't help there but I get where you are coming from. Vehicle thefts in Montana are not that chronic (unless you are dumb enough to leave your keys in the ignition). AAA really bailed my wife out a few years back so I'm a fan. I like the Nav feature of the Mobile App where you can upload an address to your truck and you are all set when you hit the road. Decisions, decisions.....

AAA has helped me a lot which is why I have Plus and I understand OnStar won't be able to help on your other vehicles. But, this '14 is my only transportation right now so I guess OnStar makes more sense for me. OnStar just seems like the next step up. I think AAA has better roadside assistance though. As for the OnStar nav, it was just shitty the 1 time I tried it. I prefer google maps on my phone so paying extra for the nav on OnStar isn't worth it at all. When I had my 98 I was planning on getting a Harley but now I don't know when I'll be able to get one lol.

the remote tab and assistance tab are all that are available after the trial is over. i uninstalled and reinstalled the app on different phones and it always works with my account so i don't know if it matters if you sign up during the trial period or not.

i see no reason to have onstar when the remote functions work on your phone app. also, check out verizon in-drive if your insurance offers it. it also does a system diagnostics, recalls, mpg calculator and a lot of functions and will save you money on your insurance at the same time. so look into other choices instead of paying onstar, someone could be paying you.

Check out the Bluestar unit by Costartech at http://costartech.com/ . Replaces your OnStar and lets you use your own cellular telephone via Bluetooth connection. I haven't purchased one yet, just trying to get the wife over the last $1200 worth of additions to my truck.

Let it expire, within 2 weeks they will email you, explain how you are going to die if you hit anything and they are not there to call for help and make you a 5 month offer for about 30 bucks. Take them up on this offer and do it all over again in 5 months if you want to save some serious money. Only fools and rich people are paying face value for OnStar.Same thing goes for the XM radio.

Archived