Hummm... I have just under 3000 miles on my 5.3L V8. I've been wondering if the "ticking" was normal or not. I can hear it most easily when I pull up to a drive-though window at any Burger Stop - roll down the drivers window. At first I though it was the Fuel Injectors ticking... a sound I hear on 20+ year old cars. I'll follow this thread and report it to the Dealer when I go in for service.

It's possible. DI injectors do make a ticking sound.

• Like 1

The ticking at idle is a completely different noise.

An update after having the lifters replaced.

The noise was no where to be found for probably 250 - 300 miles. That had not happened since the noise first started.

I was beginning to think the problem had been solved when it gradually came back. The ticking has returned, only in V4, and again, at various speeds. It is not as loud and much more infrequent than before.

Truck is currently in the shop because it won't turn over (tried several batteries, and a new starter).

We really love the truck when it works as intended but we've had entirely too many serious problems for 12,000 miles. What a damn headache for a $45k truck.

Edited by TightLines612

Wow this sucks.....mine has had that ticking noise at idle and running for as long as I can remember. I have heard other 5.3's that have done the same. I assumed it was normal? My truck has 32k on it and it runs perfectly fine. Now I am wondering if I should take it in?

• 1 month later...

any one have an up date? mine still does it but i have found it to be related to hitting a bump. Will be 100% fine no ticking, hit a pothole or cross bumpy RR tracks (not like a maniac just general everyday bumps) and then the ticking starts.. might stop if you hit another bump .. might just randomly stop.. may continue until it sits overnight. there is def not a major power loss when its ticking but it also doesn't feel like it is running as good as when its not. My 2 guesses and they are purely guesses at this point since i am getting no codes is the core of the converter on the driver side bank has a crack or is loose and when i hit a bump it shifts and partially plugs the driver side bank exhaust causing the ticking sound as the pressure makes it leak slightly where the mani bolts to the head. The other pure guess at this point is (and i will check this on my own, maybe even swap wires) is i have been reading about spark plug wires coming off. Now i know i would get a code and drop a cyl if i lose a wire but if one is on the ragged edge of falling off the bump could jar it and the ticking i am hearing could be the spark jumping the gap to the plug

• 5 months later...

Mine is currently in the shop for this problem, both the chirping from v4 to v8, and the ticking noise. I couldn't replicate the ticking noise when the dealer rode with me, but the tech heard the v4 to v8 chirp and said that it was "not normal." I should be hearing from them soon. I'll keep everyone posted.

As for my "ticking" noise, I haven't heard it for too long, as I brought it into the shop only two days after I heard it. The ticking is intermittent, and only really noticeable when I drive by a wall, or sitting in the drive-through. We did a little of our own troubleshooting, and found that it is coming somewhere from the engine compartment, and is inconsistent in frequency.

Mine is currently in the shop for this problem, both the chirping from v4 to v8, and the ticking noise. I couldn't replicate the ticking noise when the dealer rode with me, but the tech heard the v4 to v8 chirp and said that it was "not normal." I should be hearing from them soon. I'll keep everyone posted.

As for my "ticking" noise, I haven't heard it for too long, as I brought it into the shop only two days after I heard it. The ticking is intermittent, and only really noticeable when I drive by a wall, or sitting in the drive-through. We did a little of our own troubleshooting, and found that it is coming somewhere from the engine compartment, and is inconsistent in frequency.

The chirp from v4 to v8 is the adaptive valve in the exhaust. I talked to my service manager last week about it and they said that GM has just released an updated part that is "supposed" to fix the issue. They've got it on order for me and should be in sometime this week.

I haven't noticed any ticking aside from the DI idle noise but I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see what you guys find out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Great, thanks Armyman22. I am half expecting the dealer to tell me that they "could not replicate the issue." If that is the case I'll bring this information to their attention and ensure that the part gets replaced.

Edited by Scruggs

Great, thanks Armyman22. I am half expecting the dealer to tell me that they "could not replicate the issue." If that is the case I'll bring this information to their attention and ensure that the part gets replaced.

Glad to help. I read about it in another thread on here before I talked to the service manager but hadn't seen anything about a new part. We were actually talking about something unrelated and I just decided to ask if they had seen the issue. That's when he told me they had just found out about the new part. From what I understand though, since the valve is made into the exhaust, they've got to put a whole new exhaust under the truck. Said it wasn't really a big deal as its just a few bolts.

Glad to help. I read about it in another thread on here before I talked to the service manager but hadn't seen anything about a new part. We were actually talking about something unrelated and I just decided to ask if they had seen the issue. That's when he told me they had just found out about the new part. From what I understand though, since the valve is made into the exhaust, they've got to put a whole new exhaust under the truck. Said it wasn't really a big deal as its just a few bolts.

I believe I found the thread that you are talking about. A lot of the guys are saying that they are either cutting it out when they get a new exhaust or simply clamping the valve open. Hopefully the new exhaust will fix that annoying squeak... if not I might just clamp it down until I cut it out.

I believe I found the thread that you are talking about. A lot of the guys are saying that they are either cutting it out when they get a new exhaust or simply clamping the valve open. Hopefully the new exhaust will fix that annoying squeak... if not I might just clamp it down until I cut it out.

Exactly. If it happens again I'll probably throw a clamp on it and be done with it. Figured I'd give them a shot to fix it first though.