New to trucks as a hobby.

5RWill

Never been a truck enthusiast per-say, i've given thought to modding my first truck back in highschool but it never panned out. I'm a huge firearm enthusiast and Computer enthusiast, so trucks should be right up my alley with tinkering. Been building computers since i was 13 and shooting distance/reloading since i was 18. Owned a 2004 sierra since i got my license and never really did anything to it. Finally got a new truck (in my sig) and want to go pretty much all out on it, for me at least. This is all new territory for me however. I know nothing about whats good, reputable, consistent, etc. like i do my other hobbies. It's funny because a friend of mine was comparing his 5.7L V8 in his dodge to my GMC 5.3L V8 and explaining it to me. I stopped him and just told him what he is telling me sounds like what i tell him when i'm explaining PCs. Have no idea lol.

Anyhow i adore this truck. It's almost too nice if that's a thing. First steps for me are leveling it and tinting the windows. Then looking at a low profile UWS toolbox, Ranch hand front & rear bumpers, some nice decent sized all terrains, and maybe a "chip" as it's called.

First question about the leveling kit. What is a reputable brand? I know rough country is one, but any others? Also will i lose my stock ride? I would hope not because this is by far the smoothest truck i've ever been in. Also 2.5" or 3"?

Is it hard to black out the red on the GMC logo? I plan on doing so whether i have to paint or just replace them. I think chrome lined black GMC letters on the front and back would look sensational.

MPG, i know tires are huge factor here but what about the added weight from the bumpers?

Sound, without getting pipes and it being too loud is there anyway to amplify the sound of the engine at idle. Idk how to explain it but i adore the way my brothers chevy sounds when you crank it, sounds like mini flowmasters almost.

Are chips worth it? Can they really counter the decrease in MPG due to say added tires?

zrabn.jpg

29pvjb8.jpg

2r6k0ns.jpg

Thanks for your time,

Best Regards,

William

Never been a truck enthusiast per-say, i've given thought to modding my first truck back in highschool but it never panned out. I'm a huge firearm enthusiast and Computer enthusiast, so trucks should be right up my alley with tinkering. Been building computers since i was 13 and shooting distance/reloading since i was 18. Owned a 2004 sierra since i got my license and never really did anything to it. Finally got a new truck (in my sig) and want to go pretty much all out on it, for me at least. This is all new territory for me however. I know nothing about whats good, reputable, consistent, etc. like i do my other hobbies. It's funny because a friend of mine was comparing his 5.7L V8 in his dodge to my GMC 5.3L V8 and explaining it to me. I stopped him and just told him what he is telling me sounds like what i tell him when i'm explaining PCs. Have no idea lol.

Anyhow i adore this truck. It's almost too nice if that's a thing. First steps for me are leveling it and tinting the windows. Then looking at a low profile UWS toolbox, Ranch hand front & rear bumpers, some nice decent sized all terrains, and maybe a "chip" as it's called.

First question about the leveling kit. What is a reputable brand? I know rough country is one, but any others? Also will i lose my stock ride? I would hope not because this is by far the smoothest truck i've ever been in. Also 2.5" or 3"?

Is it hard to black out the red on the GMC logo? I plan on doing so whether i have to paint or just replace them. I think chrome lined black GMC letters on the front and back would look sensational.

MPG, i know tires are huge factor here but what about the added weight from the bumpers?

Sound, without getting pipes and it being too loud is there anyway to amplify the sound of the engine at idle. Idk how to explain it but i adore the way my brothers chevy sounds when you crank it, sounds like mini flowmasters almost.

Are chips worth it? Can they really counter the decrease in MPG due to say added tires?

zrabn.jpg

29pvjb8.jpg

2r6k0ns.jpg

Thanks for your time,

Best Regards,

William

Welcome aboard, nice truck. If you want to go low cost and with baby steps, you can remove the blocks in the back to lower it a bit, any after market shop can do that cheap. You can go to a muffler shop and start with a muffler delete, that may take care of your sound for you also pretty cheap. As far as a tune can or custom, they offer big improvements but warranty is a issue with those. I would cruise the forum to get ideas, you will find they very a lot, and comes down to personal taste. If you have the 5.3 run some E85 that will give you 25HP if your looking for more power.

Welcome aboard.

Just a heads up there is no such thing as a chip, it's a computer reprogram (tune).

Heavier bumpers will lower your mileage as will a grille guard. Any weight you add (inside toolbox) will reduce mpg

Ryan

Hmm. Looking at blackbear as a relative suggested, i'd probably skip on a tune anyhow. Less it's really worth it, i was under the impression it helped as far as MPG was concerned or was always told so. Which is where my interest stemmed from anyhow.

I'm pretty settled on the RC 2.5 Leveling kit, hoping it doesn't rid the truck of it's factory ride. It is magnificent as it is now.

Going with ranch hand summit front bumper and sport rear bumper sometime in the next year. The first 3 stops are leveling, tint, and toolbox.

If i can maintain 18mpg with bumpers, decent tires, and a leveling kit i would be happy though that might be overly optimistic.

How hard is it to black out the GMC letters/Logo on the truck? Would it be better to just find some black/chrome outlined letters and have them put on?

It looks to me that vinyl wrap is the best for using on the logos.

The tune is worth it to most because it makes the pickup drive awesome.

I didn't lose mpg with the big bumper or heavy tires, but I stuck with a stock size tire.

I saw the plasti-dip solutions, will they retain their shine though? Or does it leave more of a matte black finish?

Might need to stick with regular size tires then.

a14cb0dedc599b16f8cfa0b37bd22ed9.jpg

It's more of a matte finish. They have a glossifier or you can put some detailing product on it. The above photo shows the camaro emblems on the front fender plast dipped

Ryan

4a447a1f7a968c0ae09e02460acc1dc2.jpg

Ryan

The Summit front bumper will technically be covering the symbol, plasti-dip might be the easiest way or Vinyl.

What are thoughts for exhaust modification but if you don't want something overly loud? Looking for more of just a prominent sound at idle and maybe a little noise at cruise and when you step on it.

Cousin and a couple of friends are telling me to go with a 3" leveling kit, rather than 2.5" as well.

How does Vinyl hold up in weather? Because this is simple as hell.

The Summit is the one I've got on my list too. The Vinyl should hold up well, and if it does start to peel after awhile, it doesn't take much to reapply. As for level, 2.5 seems to be the max you want to go. 3" is too much geometry change and will wear out ball joints faster. 2.5" will as well compared to stock, but not as bad as 3". This is all from reading on here anyway. You could always get aftermarket UCA's with greasable joints too. Most just run the 2.5 and it seems to be fine for now. For the exhaust, removing the resonator, or clamping open, and a new muffler, Magnaflow 18" (or similar) may be what you're looking for.

Truck looks good though. Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Thanks man! Here's another.

t9be2q.jpg

From what i've seen 2.5 is pretty much perfect on the 14s. I'll have to definitely look into maintenance required with the 2.5 leveling kit.

I'm still undecided on the exhaust but that will be later down the road. I wouldn't mind a borla touring system, i really like the sound the touring gives even the mufflers. It's not too loud but not too quiet for me anyhow.

For the time being priority will be to tint the windows, deciding between 15 or 20 all around. Floor mats, bed liner, leveling kit, and then maybe a tool box. I also have some firearm things to finish at the moment as well as a PC build, but i've got most of the parts for those.

Tint is at the top of mine as well. Just got to decide on what I want. I don't want to spend it and get stopped. Thinking 15% across the board or 20%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived