Climate control

ahahnu

Previously I don't always like to use the system. AC after awhile gives me a headache and after the car / truck warms up heat isn't needed. I am not used to the climate control pumping out heat or cool even when off. During the summer, the cool wasn't so bad but now the heat is killing me. In my car, when the system is off, I can hit the recirculate button and it stops all flow into the cabin. In the truck the recirc button doesn't do anything. I'd really like to drive with out air blowing uncomfortably at me.

Also I've noticed even when the climate control system is on heat, the AC light comes on. Why? I thought AC hurt gas mileage, and wtf does AC have to do with heat?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually just set the temp and keep it on auto and let it do it's thing. Only time I haven't is when it's cold and I need to have the defrost on, when it clears back up I put it back on auto. With it on auto it seems to make it comfortable instead of having hot air or cold air blowing directly on you and constantly having to readjust it. I know it seems weird to have the A/C light on when it's 55 outside, but with it on auto it doesn't really feel like the A/C is on. I think it's on just to help keep it a little comfortable, depending on what temp you set it on. I've kept mine on 72° so far in the heat and 75° at the most when it's cold.

The AC will run to remove the humidity from inside the cab, especially when you're running defrost. That way your windshield will clear faster. Unless it's really cold out, my AC "light" is always on, but as said, it doesn't mean it's always running, just ready for when it's needed.

i hate the auto system in this vehicle. gm took a step back with it big time.

I was riding in a buddies '08 one time and noticed that his system worked somewhat differently than mine...in a bad way different. He told me he almost never ran it in auto since it didn't work the way he liked.

I usually just set the temp and keep it on auto and let it do it's thing. Only time I haven't is when it's cold and I need to have the defrost on, when it clears back up I put it back on auto. With it on auto it seems to make it comfortable instead of having hot air or cold air blowing directly on you and constantly having to readjust it. I know it seems weird to have the A/C light on when it's 55 outside, but with it on auto it doesn't really feel like the A/C is on. I think it's on just to help keep it a little comfortable, depending on what temp you set it on. I've kept mine on 72° so far in the heat and 75° at the most when it's cold.

Almost exactly how I run mine as well.

The AUTO on my truck, to me, works better than my 07 Yukon I had. The temperature seems to maintain better and more consistent. Also seems to be more inline to what I'm used to what the "selected" temperature is.

Maybe we should go back to mechanical switches and vacuum levers to control temperature!

there are a number of issues with the auto system. the first being your car does not heat or cool based on ambient, but only on auto temperature previously set. the second is auto will run the compressor for heating instead of heating without it. the third is you cannot control where the air comes from be it vents, defrost vent, or floor while in auto.

if you live somewhere the temperature swings wildy, and you run the AC on LO because it is hot, the next day when you wake up and it's 38 the AC will still run.

there are a number of issues with the auto system. the first being your car does not heat or cool based on ambient, but only on auto temperature previously set. the second is auto will run the compressor for heating instead of heating without it. the third is you cannot control where the air comes from be it vents, defrost vent, or floor while in auto.

if you live somewhere the temperature swings wildy, and you run the AC on LO because it is hot, the next day when you wake up and it's 38 the AC will still run.

Thats my biggest complaint right there, not being able to control where it comes from. Second is getting in and out of auto can be slow, say I want to go from auto, and do manual, its slow to respond.

Really the system has not changed since my 07. Another reason why GM doesnt get an A+ for this truck.

in an 07-13 the auto system was overwritten by the ambient temperature while in remote start. when you put the keys in, auto would take over. some like it, some don't, but i would assume the options in the infotainment that turned it off or on would control it, but it doesn't really.

i hate the auto system in this vehicle. gm took a step back with it big time.

I have to agree the Auto system in my 08 1500 LTZ and my 2011 Duramax both worked better than the one in my 14.When my Bluetooth was activated in my Duramax and the AC was on full [noisy] it would shut off the AC so I could hear my call.My 14 does not shut off the noisy AC.Yup step backwards.

I have to agree the Auto system in my 08 1500 LTZ and my 2011 Duramax both worked better than the one in my 14.When my Bluetooth was activated in my Duramax and the AC was on full [noisy] it would shut off the AC so I could hear my call.My 14 does not shut off the noisy AC.Yup step backwards.

I would have disabled the auto shutoff on my 11 if I could. Tired of no AC when on the phone, on the highway, in the summer.

Choice would be even better.

in an 07-13 the auto system was overwritten by the ambient temperature while in remote start. when you put the keys in, auto would take over. some like it, some don't, but i would assume the options in the infotainment that turned it off or on would control it, but it doesn't really.

What happens when the feature is turned on or off?

(I understood that 'On' is supposed to respond to ambient temp and revert to climate control setting once the key is turned on)

If you are talking about the set temperature air still coming out of the vents while the system is off, that is because the air on the outside of the truck is still pushing its way into the system even though it is off.

If you don't want air coming out of your vents than you will need to close the vents off when you are not using the system.

Archived