Can I drive it with the gauge cluster out?

Hello all,

I hopefully have just resolved a serious REP (reduced engine power) problem once and for all on my 03 HD1500, the next plan assuming I could get it to run right was to get a few gauges (tach, volt, and speedo) in the gauge cluster working again that have been out for quite some time and have found a place to send it off to for the repairs that was recommended here.

I don't want to mess anything up, have the truck throw a fit and start tossing a bunch of codes or give it any other reason to start acting up again. Can anyone tell me 100% for sure if the truck is driveable without causing issues (I'll take my chances with a speeding ticket or the unlikely overheat ;-)) while the gauge cluster is out? I've got another vehicle I can drive while I wait for the cluster to return if I have to.

Sure, I could just remove the cluster and see what I get, but after all the crap I've been through in the past few months with the truck I don't even want to go there and feel it's wise to ask someone in the know first. That or maybe someone here knows of a much more reasonable deal on a replacement cluster vs. spending the required big bucks on a new one?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, 100% driveable and will run normal. I have driven without mine for a couple days, but i hooked up other monitoring equipment for my own reassurance so i knew temp and speed

Thanks, Chris! I've gone without the speedo for quite awhile so not too worried there, temp and oil pressure don't have any reason to act up either so I am ok with nothing monitoring this for a few days while the cluster is out. I figured with the gauges as messed up as they already are, it probably would run without issue with the cluster out, I just don't want to give it any new reasons to go back to it's old ways of thinking as of late if you know what I mean.

Now the 2008 Ford Expedition i have here, no cluster in that or the wrong cluster and it doesnt want to either start or rev. I cant remember. But it does act up.

Cool, thanks guys! I've also looked into fixing the cluster myself, there's all kinds of info and videos online on how to do it and I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, so maybe that's what I should do. What I've been doing for now is I use the controls on the steering wheel and select "average MPH." When you hold the lower left button down for a second it will give you your actual speed within a few MPH. I've driven the truck so long this way I can just about predict within a few MPH now how fast I'm going just by "seat of the pants" feel. I just need to quit being cheap and get the damn thing fixed! :lol:

For what it would cost to have it rebuilt and the issues that you have had in the past... Walk away and let someone else do it and warranty the work. Not sure who you found to do it, but I have used a company called Florida Speed that I have used on 2 separate occasions with great success.

Good luck!

It would be OK here in Washington, no one looks at their speedo anyway, only their cell phone while texting.

Ha! No kidding! Saw a couple of those 'can't take my eyes off the phone' idiots just this morning on my way to work. Passed a kid in one of those little weenie cars looking directly at his phone @ 65 MPH. What they don't realize is if they screw up and tangle with us, we're a lot bigger than they are and they're gonna lose!

I appreciate the extra info on who to check with. This is the outfit I found on the cluster repair, anyone got anything on them? http://www.dallasclusterrepair.com/

It does appear through some research I did that they relocated to TX from another state at some point in the past.

Took mine out a couple of times to replace the cluster motors. No issues. I have my GPS running to keep track of speed. I just make sure I top off the tank just in case if I don't recall how much fuel is left.

Took mine out a couple of times to replace the cluster motors. No issues. I have my GPS running to keep track of speed. I just make sure I top off the tank just in case if I don't recall how much fuel is left.

My fuel gauge, the idiot light and the "ding-ding" still goes off when it's low on fuel and tells me how far I can still go, so that part is good. Would be nice for a change to glance down at the speedo though to know how fast I'm going or if the alternator is putting out a decent charge, although I discovered last winter the battery light turns on when the alternator goes. Then there's the issue of all those damn lights in the dash that don't work!

I got a Dorman remanufactured unit for my GMT-800 before I sold it to my parents. Lifetime warranty. I got the one for the 2500 that had the trans temp gauge...plug and play. Trans temp gauge worked great.

Mine also has the trans temp gauge. I've looked into just purchasing a re-man cluster as well and throwing my partially dead one on Craigslist or something like that unless whomever I buy from needs it as a core, but so far every replacement cluster I've found are a bazillion dollars. What did the Dorman cluster set you back and where did you get it? I just picked up a Dorman heat / AC head unit from NAPA, going price was $149 with a $200 core if I didn't bring the dead one in!

Archived