Running Boards / Side Steps

xb12g

I have a 14 All Terrain Double Cab. I have been going back and forth on the idea of steps since I purchased the truck.

I like the way the wider factory ones look but I don't like that i will decrease my ground clearance.

I like the fact they would potentially help protect the truck from road debris but I am concerned about the fact they mount to the rocker for future corrosion problems.

For people that have these, what are you impressions on the above mentioned concerns.

They definitely do decrease ground clearance. On a level surface on my 4x4 crew I have to turn my head to get my head under the truck with no jack. (If i'm on a creeper. if I'm not its real close but we're good.)

You drive in deep snow or mud you're probably gonna have a bad time with these cos they do add 2-3" of ground.

They bolt in 2 places, vertically (the holes are already there and threaded) and horizontally. When you step on the bar it twists and puts pressure on the inside lip of the cab for extra support. I don't forsee corrosion problems being an issue unless you get salt or something between the body and the brackets, but that would happen to anything you mount.

Protection from road debris? Well I guess. Where are you driving tho? 100mph down a gravel road? :lol: I think mud flaps would do more for you there.

Do you have a firm price ceiling? The amp power steps fold up close to the body eliminating the ground clearance issues you might have while driving. The downside is they are ~$1000+ install.

I never liked the large factory ones because of how much room they take up.

I added the GM 6" oval side steps to my 2015 2500 4X4 a few days ago. I had the Westin 4" ovals on my 2012 2500. You do give up some clearance with side steps or nerf bars. I prefer the GM 6" ovals. I did not want to remove the truck body mounting bolts to mount nerf bars again. I have more ground clearance under the 2015 with the GM side steps than I did with the Westin nerf bars on my 2012. The GM side steps are rock solid and work well for climbing in and out of a high ground clearance truck.

I added the GM 6" oval side steps to my 2015 2500 4X4 a few days ago. I had the Westin 4" ovals on my 2012 2500. You do give up some clearance with side steps or nerf bars. I prefer the GM 6" ovals. I did not want to remove the truck body mounting bolts to mount nerf bars again. I have more ground clearance under the 2015 with the GM side steps than I did with the Westin nerf bars on my 2012. The GM side steps are rock solid and work well for climbing in and out of a high ground clearance truck.

One note is. I forgot the brand, But GMs bars are Westins or something with a bow tie on them. You can find the same ones aftermarket for quite a bit less.

One note is. I forgot the brand, But GMs bars are Westins or something with a bow tie on them. You can find the same ones aftermarket for quite a bit less.

I had read on this forum that they are made by Lund but I never could confirm that. The price for the quality of these 6" steps appeared to be about the same to more expensive for some of the Lund steps. I am happy with my choice of side steps.

I had read on this forum that they are made by Lund but I never could confirm that. The price for the quality of these 6" steps appeared to be about the same to more expensive for some of the Lund steps. I am happy with my choice of side steps.

I cant remember either but you might be right. And pricing might be different on certain models. But when I looked into it on my old truck I think I saved 200 bucks going with the branded steps vs chevy steps and they were still warranted.

Archived