Seafoam

Rolled over 20K miles and figured I would run some through the truck to see how it acted. Much to my surprise there was no smoke; none. Put 1/2 can in through the vacuum line tied to the brake booster, let it set for 10 min then started back up. Nothing. Surely the motor isn't that clean. Anyone done this without smoke before? I had the phone out going to make a video of it but it was pretty uneventful.

Very well could be that clean. Personally I've never seen any results from Seafoam, I don't use it. I run cleaner every 5000 miles or so.

My 1990 was never seafoamed, cleaned looked at, anything and here is the chamber at 193,000 miles... No buildup at all.

A1AB3DDC-B30A-4B79-9ADA-3EA711F17AD7-839

Yeah the idea of the BG treatment is what you'd want on a DI motor. It may not be dirty in the chamber but it could have buildup on the intake side and I remember the new BG treatment being aimed for that.

Going through the vacuum line to the brake booster it should have wound up in the top end right? This was first rodeo with this stuff.

Going through the vacuum line to the brake booster it should have wound up in the top end right? This was first rodeo with this stuff.

Did you feed it through the line in the pic I attached? If so that goes to the vacuum pump. I'm not sure if that would be the proper method on these motors.

post-124685-0-38347900-1414853670_thumb.jpg

Did you feed it through the line in the pic I attached? If so that goes to the vacuum pump. I'm not sure if that would be the proper method on these motors.

Yes, that is where it went in. Wonder where it went? Anyone have a schematic of the vacuum system?

So does anyone know if this wound up in the case of the engine? It is new oil so I can't tell from just looking. Put in 1/2 bottle so it wouldn't make much of a diff in level either. Supposed to be safe if it is in the oil but just don't like the thought of it in there.

Could it still be in the vacuum pump? It went somewhere but not sure where. There is another line coming from the bottom of the pump but I keep loosing it trying to trace it out

Yea I tried to seafoam my truck today before I installed my rx catch can, but don't know where it's suppose to go. Our vacuum lines don't look like they go to the top end of the engine so is there any other holes I should use or should I just buy the seafoam spray and use it directly into the intake

CA - You definitely put the seafoam in the wrong place. The hard plastic hose does runs from the brake booster down to the vacuum pump. Im not sure how the vacuum pump is all set up, but there is a possibility that the seafoam wound up in the pump and may damage the seals. Not sure on this.

In order to get the product to the back of the valves where it needs to be, it needs to be drawn into the intake from the PCV port on the side of the intake (5.3) or front of the intake (6.2).

Just for additional information, I have experience with DI motors (BMW) and have seen carbon build up cause major issues. A catch can is cheap insurance against future issues. I've got about 2200mi on my truck and installed a can around 2000mi. I pulled the throttle body at around 1500mi and found the intake completely wet with oil. I then pulled the PCV line from the side of the intake and found it also wet. That's why I decided to install a can.

Bear in mind that I drive very short trips to and from work, about 5mi each way, so this has most likely played a role in the amount of oil my engine pulls in. In about 150mi, I drained about 1/4oz from the can.

I have put together a canister to draw regulated amounts of top end cleaner into the motor, via a needle value, and plan to run about 1/2 can through before each oil change.

Never tried it, but I don't see much need for it unless it has over maybe 150,000 miles on the engine, something like that. I've seen engines with over 100,000 miles on them still look new on the inside of the cylinders and heads.

From what I've read... you put 1/3 of the bottle in the oil (will have to change the oil immediately after), 1/3 in the fuel tank and the last 1/3 into the intake manifold through the PCV valve.

Archived