Bed removal for fuel pump

Since it looks like I'm going to be replacing my fuel pump/sending unit soon I'll need to remove my bed. Because I will most likely have to do it by myself, can I take the bumper off and just prop the left side up with a jack stand or some other support?

That way I can be able to do it by myself. I don't have access to an engine hoist to use one of the bed removal attachments.

If you have to do it by yourself then try dropping the fuel tank. Of course first syphon as much fuel out as you can. After that it won't be that hard. Had to do it a couple times on my 98 and never removed the bed. I've heard of people making a trap door in the bed floor to get right to the assembly. That was on the platform of my 98 (GMT400) since they are notorious for going out on an almost regular basis.

I have heard of people doing it by tilting it to the side. If I do it and don't have help that's what I'm going to try. Just make sure it doesn't fall!

Lift it with tractor

I don't know that you'd have to pull the bumper. I remember doing one in shop class back in high school (it was a 400-series truck) where we just undid the tail lights, filler neck, grounds and of course the bolts and slid the bed back a foot or two and that was enough to get to the pump.

It is super easy to remove. You and one other person can lift it off the truck no problem. It makes changing things out so much easier.

Sent from my MaxiPad

This ^^^^^^

Be careful with tilting the bed because the back can end up being pushed into the bumper and you'll have scratches and dents.

And it goes without saying, safety is key so make sure everything is secure.

I dropped the tank 1/2 full on my 03 with a floor jack and a few 2x4 screwed together to keep it from getting away when lowering it b myself. Not bad at all... Would go the same route if the need arises again in a heartbeat.

Archived