Brake Line Replacement

rdnkcpa

Question

I bought the GM prebent brake line kit for my 2004 Silverado. Brakelines have not burst yet but looked BAD. Anyway, on to the question... I'm currently wrestling with the plastic clamps that attach the brakelines to the chasis(One Grey one, two black). Is there an easy way to open the clamps up, or do you order new ones and just break the old ones? I wrestled with them for a few minutes, then I stepped away before I got more impatient and damaged them.

15 answers to this question

I would think that buying a roll of seamless brake line and a flaring tool would be easier and cheaper than trying to put a pre-bent line in. Fuel and brake lines are generally installed onto the frame very early in the build process, early as in before cab and box are installed.

Do the replacement lines from GM come in a one piece unit, with the line bent in half? Front to rear line has to be over 6 feet long on a long box truck with standard cab, and over 8 feet long on a extended cab with long box truck. I know the replacement pre-bent line kits for early Mustangs are folded in half for shipping.

My abs bleed went pretty well. I bled the system, and some people experience a soft pedal until the abs controller is cycled and the air is pumped out. I did not experience this. After I bled the system the traditional way, I had good firm pedal.

I recommend installing all new brake hoses, as well as the lines. I rebuilt all of my calipers also. So far so good. Go slow, take your time. Like I said in my earlier post, it is not impossible but it is a lot of work. You will have to jack up your cab, don't be afraid to do it. Don't unscrew the cab-to-frame bolts all the way, just enough so you can lift the cab up about 2".

Send MS3DALE a PM with your VIN and he'll hook you up with a kit. Mine was under $100.00 shipped to my house. He's great to deal with.

I always worked on the premise of how long to re-use compared to how much to replace. A $10 part is going to be replaced if it was going to take longer than 20 minutes to re-use.

Order new ones. Plastic anything will not likely be re-usable after 10 years exposure.

I figured ordering was the way to go. I was trying to pop them open with a screw driver but no luck. Then I really started to think that they maybe a one time shot. I'll hit up Rich for new ones.

Thanks for saving me from some insanity in trying to recycle them.

Let us know how the install goes. One day I will probably have to do this to my truck and not really looking forward to it. I hear you about not wanting to reuse the plastic clips. They'll only drive you nuts trying to work with them and not break them at the same time.

I'll try and post some pics. All the brake lines are rusted beyond belief. A sad state of affairs from GM for sure. My son has a 2001 S10 with 205,000 miles driven in the same climate over the same roads and his lines are in much better shape. On that note I was slowly picking at my truck. It is not my daily driver, but my son's truck is in need of an idler arm and an intake manifold gasket, so the work on my truck will have to be done a little faster. It sucks being broke and a cheap bastard at the same time.... I'd love to take it to a shop and just say please fix and send me the bill.

I bought the GM prebent brake line kit for my 2004 Silverado. Brakelines have not burst yet but looked BAD.

I'm in the same spot with the same truck as you and have been thinking of just biting the bullet, buying the kit and replacing all the lines but I've read other posts that give horror stories about having to raise the cab and/or bed and removing the gas tank to install the GM kit. Is this true?? Really interested in seeing how you deal with this project.

Well I just finished installing all the new pre-bent lines.

Couple of things if you take this job on yourself. I'm not a technician, and the truck is not my daily driver so it can sit for a bit. I took my time and went very slow, and had to work a lot of things out. The job is a tough one for sure, but not impossible. If you have the cash available, and need it quickly have a shop do it. My father is a retired mechanic, and to quote him, this job was a "ring-tailed mother f*!#%&@".

I also replaced all the flexible hoses as well. I bought one from Napa, one from Autozone, and an AC Delco. AC Delco is the way to go, it comes with new banjo bolts, and on the front ones, new mounting hardware as well. Napa and Autozone look to be both sourced from China no banjo bolts or mounting hardware. I sent Rich-MS3DALE, my VIN and he sent me correct pipe kit at a very competitive price.

You don't need to take the bed off. You will need a second set of hands to help route the line up to the ABS controller. In fact, a helper makes things 100% easier when fishing the lines back to the controller. The rear line went in a lot easier than I was expecting.

The cab needs to be jacked up. I tried with not jacking it up and it was just about impossible. I sat a 2X6 flat on my jack then a 4x4x4 on top of that, put it against the rocker panel and it lifted it up no problem. It only has to go up about two inches. I set two blocks of wood between the frame and the body for safety. Disconnect the parking brake cable and that will give you a little more slack when you lift the cab.

When you set your jack stand and are using the jack to move the cab up, make sure they are spaced enough so there is access to the abs controller.

Getting the front passenger side routed is a cruel FU from GM.

I'm getting the calipers back on tomorrow and will bleed the system.

While I was under there, I noticed my fuel lines are in sorry shape as well. I have not decided if I'm going to do those or pay someone that knows what they are doing....

Archived