Signing off on my Duramax today

I'm headed down to the dealer today to sign papers on my '15 2500 CC SB LTZ Z71. I am very looking forward to getting back in a real truck! I'm hoping it fits in the garage here, I have 20 feet of room between the workbench and door, gonna be tight. Starting to plan a couple minor modifications to the vehicle. I've heard the headlights at night are poor, thought this could be remedied with some brighter bulbs. Once I have the truck I'll head down to Canadian Tire and take a look at what I need. Does anyone have any recommended bulbs?

Second I am going to upgrade the tires to something a little more aggressive. The truck has 18s and I was thinking of moving up just slightly to 275/70R18's. I'm looking at the BFG ATs for $260 ea, Cooper Discoverer ATs for $251 ea, or Nitto Terra Grapplers for $324 ea. I've never ran any of these tires before, I have Goodyear Duratracs but they are too noisy for me and I was quoted $365 ea. I will do mostly highway, some gravel, and lots of snow. I'm leaning towards the Coopers simply based on price. Thoughts from anyone who've run these tires?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a set of the Cooper A/T3's (sold truck) and was very happy with them! I have had the BFG AT's also, and never had an issue them either! Though the last set of BFG's I bought was in about '05.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

The Duratracs are awesome in snow, but they are too expensive in that size. Plus it would be nice to have something a little quieter. I have the duras on my Xterra:

8248600656_0105424fab.jpg

Lookin' for the great escape... by ThePieCo, on Flickr

I'm leaning towards the BFGs, I pick it up on Saturday. I'm going to call tomorrow to make an appointment for Box liner, tint the tail lights, and tires.

I was considering those as well, although I haven't been able to price them out yet. Took the truck home today and loove it! So much more comfortable than the Xterra. I think I've resolved to get new rims, probably 20's. Definitely need to add mud flaps ASAP as snow hit the ground today and the sand trucks were out. I've driven about 95 kms so far and averaged 12l/100kms! That's 19.6 mpg for my American friends. The wife loves the truck too, apparently santa's going to bring me a tonneau cover. That means rims tires, tinted tail lights, black bow ties, mudflaps and box liner are all on me.

I'm in Canada. 33" BFG ATs are $1483 installed. $1380 USD to CAD is $1563, plus shipping, plus duty, plus balancing = $2000. I'd rather save $500 and put that towards rims.

Shutter:

XD5 bulbs on Ebay are as good as the Sylvania Silverstar for 1/3 the price. For the Chevys use the H11. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5800K-XD5-H11-Xenon-Krypton-Quartz-White-Light-Bulbs-for-Headlamp-Fog-DRL-55W-/380168212849?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5883ca9171&vxp=m

I would keep the Michelins AT 's that come with the Z71- they are great tires. Save the $1300 for some other goodies...

Avalon

Archived