Cheve Avalanche Car Starter

LisaW

Question

Recently my GM Car Start will not engage. I took it in to have a brake controller installed afterwards the GM carstarter button did not work, when I went back in and told them I was told that it should not affect the car starter. The tech told me that when he was looking at the wiring he said you have an antenna on the windshield that tells me you have an aftermarket car starter....did you know that and I told him no I always used the GM key fob to remote start the vehicle. He said well check to see if you have a remote for the aftermarket....sure enough I looked through the other keys that went with the vehicle when I bought it and there was an aftermarket.

Recently the aftermarket car start remote will not start the vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions.....it seems weird that the OEM remote used to start the vehicle now it does not even flash the lights whe the remote start button is pushed.....the after market does flash the lights twice like it is going to start it but nothing happens.

Winter is coming and I really would like for this to work.

Lisa.

5 answers to this question

I have one of those GM 2 way remote start fobs. When the batteries start to get low, all buttons work except the remote start button. Maybe try replacing the battery in your GM key fob.

Makes you wonder if previous owner had issues with factory remote start and put aftermarket in.

I have one of those GM 2 way remote start fobs. When the batteries start to get low, all buttons work except the remote start button. Maybe try replacing the battery in your GM key fob.

Makes you wonder if previous owner had issues with factory remote start and put aftermarket in.

Hi, I wondered the same thing about why he had a second one.....I'm going to try the batteries though - you never know.

I've managed to get the after market AutoStart remote to work....I went on line and checked the website and found a comment that it could be in valet mode so I tried the ignition method and it worked....turn the ignition forward 5 times quickly within 10 seconds.....remove the key and get out of the vehicle and try the starter and it worked. I figure the last oil change I had that when they reset the oil life they put it into valet mode by accident.

But the GM one still didn't work....I'm going to try a fresh new battery like the recommendation above....but at least I know have my car starter back!!

Archived