2015 Yukon Denali AFM and Valve Lifter Problem

Just picked up my 2015 Yukon Denali on October 31 and on day three, experienced an issue when accelerating that would cause a thuddering sound from the engine. I immediately headed to the dealer and tried to replicate the problem consistently on the way. I realized that when the V4 mode engaged, this problem would occur. As soon as it went to V8 mode, it would stop. I was able to consistently get this to happen. The service department checked the vehicle in and it sat for most of the day. I explained the problem and exactly how to replicate it and they were able to. I also said this occurred after my FIRST gas fill up. I usually run at least plus (91 octane), but maybe they put in regular or it was bad gas. Their response was that regular is all they use in their vehicles. I had to rent a vehicle from enterprise and then go back at the end of the day to switch it for one of their loaners. They proceeded to troubleshoot for the next three days, waiting each time for GM to instruct them along they way. They performed multiple testing and replaced a few parts to test, all to no avail. They drained the gas and put super in as a last resort. They said the problem was still there.

By day 4, I was not satisfied with the progress and told them I was picking the truck up. I was considering getting a second opinion. Besides, the loaner vehicle they gave me was an embarrassment. It made noise in auto mode and slid all over the place in 2wd. It was a Suburban LT and certainly not what I was planning on driving three days after taking delivery of my new truck. I asked for my old truck back as a long shot, a 2011 Yukon Denali, and they said that wasn't possible.

So I pick the truck up on day 4 and as soon as I started it, I knew there was a bigger problem. I pulled away from the service shop, drove around the block and pulled back into shop. The truck was ticking like crazy. The lead tech came out and explained that it was bad lifter and that it was related to the original problem. I said I didn't notice the original problem while driving around the block, so maybe the gas change fixed that and from all the troubleshooting, this problem was caused.

He said they couldn't do anything else until they scheduled a GM Field Tech to come in to advise and he was supposed to call the following Monday to schedule a visit. They said hopefully by the end of the week he would be there. The END of next week! Which means my truck will be out of service for a total of 12 days before something else even gets attempted.

Since this is now a completely different problem than originally brought in for, I said I was leaving it and to put me back into a loaner. They didn't have any and said it was ok to drive it until they got a loaner in. I drove it home and parked it. They called me the following day, today, and said they have a Chevy Cruze coming in on Monday! A Chevy Cruze! They should be ashamed. I spent $75k on this truck, drive it for two days and they want to put me in a Chevy Cruze. And from what I'm gathering from the tech, it will be at least a week until they have a next step in troubleshooting.

I am beyond aggravated with this ordeal. The tech said they may need to replace the lifters on one side or both or may need to replace the engine! 300 miles on this truck and they're talking about replacing the engine.

I've searched for similar problems and can not find any related. My question to anyone that may know is this, depending on what troubleshooting they did since having my truck, could they have caused more damage than good? What could they have possibly done to cause this valve lifter problem? I feel the original problem could have just been gas related and now it is so much worse. Besides the valve lifter ticking, the truck is driving rough. Shifting and accelerating seem off since they've had it. Although minor, still unacceptable is that there is now grease all over the assisted running boards and interior and they also chipped the windshield since having it. The chrome tipped exhaust is also all scratched up from the exhaust hose and there are scuffs on the mirrors, taillight and rear hatch probably from said exhaust hose!

Like I said, I had a 2011 Yukon Denali and loved it. Never a problem in 38 months. This new truck was great for the first two days, but this ordeal has quickly soured that new car experience. This truck was amost impossible to find; black on black, 22" tires, open road package, premium package, enhanced security system...even if I wind up having to get another truck, it will be a difficult task.

I've complained relentlessly to both the service and sales managers. They seem frustrated with the situation and I hope they are truely doing all they can to resolve this as quick as possible, but I have my doubts. Any advice from the community?

Hello YukonDenali2015,

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we recognize that this has been a difficult situation. I understand that you are working with your dealership toward a resolution for your concerns. If you should need any additional assistance, we are always here to help. We'd like to document your concerns in our system. If you're interested, you can send us PM with your full contact information and VIN.

Andraya

GM Customer Care

After only a few days they can't get your old truck back? That sounds kind of odd to me. What did they do with it? Typically a dealership will hang on to the trade-ins to resell unless it's "unsellable" in their eyes and will send it off for auction. I doubt your old truck would be unsellable so it should be there or at least near by anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am having the same problem. Purchased first Denali XL in June and it was in the shop for various reasons for over 60 days. Needed a new steering column because it was binding and 2 inches shorter than correct part. Took a long time to get one. They bought me out of it and I bought another one that is an 8 speed. Didn't know they were changing. Took delivery end of November 2014. Had a problem with the AFM immediately and the GM dealer "couldn't hear it". Hooked it up to a computer and said it passed with flying colors. Said come pick it up. Called GM customer service. Worst ever customer service experience. Runaround. Demanded I get access to my local cadillac dealer for service. Took it there, they noticed the flaw. Said the AFM system wouldn't come out of V4 mode soon enough and caused the engine to labor and caused serious valve noise. and GM customer service said there was nothing wrong with the SUV. More than once.

Week before last, check engine light comes on, traction control light comes on and collision avoidance system "unavailable". Called cadillac dealer, they towed it in on a trailer. Next day they said a service bulletin was out on it. It was issued in late January. For several years worth of GM SUV's. Fix is to replace left side valves (running cylinders in V4 mode) and oil pan and oil pump. 10 hour job. 1750 on the odometer. I'm not confident this will fix the problem because the computer for downshifting seems to be the problem. Would think software adjustment, but GM customer service says vehicle is operating as designed. Told me I was too picky.

I have owned an 07 yukon, 10 Denali, still have a 12 Denali and 14 Denali XL. Never any problems. This 15 is not ready for prime time.

• 2 years later...

Let me tell you my nightmare with my 2008 tahoe LTZ. Let me begin by telling you alittle about myself. I'm 29 years old I have a young family with two young boys. It all started when my 03 gmc yukon started having grounding issues. Against everything my wife said (she wanted me to go with an 18 camry xse) an I refused as i i i have a 30 mile commute to work in whatever conditions arise, It was a great looking 2008 with just 108k test drove fine, I pulled the trigger Aug 10th. Within my first week of having it. I started getting evap codes. Everytime I used the remote start? That after 2 weeks the dealer fixed the solenoid, witch still throwing evap codes. Then one morning I'm on my way into boston I go to hit the gas to pass someone an I get a really really bad miss, upon further insection truck needed a tear down, lifter failure in  cylinder 4 needs new cam, lifter, intake an exhaust valve, head gaskets all to the tune of 3400. That was the first rebuild. After not even a week the same thing happend, rebuilt again. But they seem to think the ECU is delayed, replaced ECU still skipping an missing. Now after nearly 5 months, I've actually driven the truck a week they want to put a new motor in it? At this point I almost want to tell the dealer to **** himself an demand my 20,000 back. I know it doesn't come close to comparing to 75k.. But this was supposted to be a reliable family vehicle that legit turned into a nightmare. 

• 2 years later...

Well, I'll tell ya, we're currently just about to return a 2017 Acadia Denali lease, (nice little car...but smaller than she's used to), and as a replacement, we bought a '15 Yukon Denali. We had an '03 version, which she loved, then some dummy secretly traded it in on an '08 Escalade....she was not impressed...and in the end, traded it in on the aforementioned '17 Acadia Denali, but I digress...

We bought the '15 Yukon from a dealership in Indiana, and did notice on the service history that the oil manifold and right side lifter (singular) was just replaced AT the dealership we just bought it from, so I figured that it had been fixed as I researched the AFM issue and was confident that it had been resolved.  We flew out to Indiana to pick it up, and about 400 miles into our 1600 mile drive back to Montana started hearing the lifter clatter in V4 mode...GREAT!!

As soon as we got home, it went straight to the GMC dealership as it was still under warranty as a Certified Pre-owned, and they confirmed what it was...we'd had possession of it for 4 days, and it's back in the shop getting that same repair AGAIN.

How many times should this have to be repaired???

To add insult to injury, we're on the hook for a couple of leaking heater hoses to the tune of about $600 (SURPRISE) that was a bit of a dismal news from the dealership, and aside from the repeated engine repair, it's really too bad that a top-shelf American auto manufacturer can't provide a product like a couple of heater hoses on a $70+K vehicle that wont go to hell in less than 5 years. 

It's all really disappointing...

• 7 months later...

Look at all the complaints and problems with 2015 GMC vehicles, particularly Yukon Denalis. I bought a 15' Yukon Denali and have had nothing but issues with it since we got it. Fuel injector issues, lifter issues, recall after recall, sensor problems out the ass, transmission issues, radiator/AC condenser issues, and so on. I went to the top of GMC and worked directly with HQ and the best they could do was give me an extra 2K off a new purchase, lol! I will NEVER EVER buy another GMC vehicle again, by far the worst purchase ever made.