Which Axle 9.75 or 9.5

I have a 6.2L with 3.42 gears. Do I have the 9.75 axle (because I have a 6.2L) or do I have the 9.5 axle?

Hope it's not a stupid question, looked around didn't find a clear answer. If there is a topic about this can someone post a link.

Edited by txab
edit title

Unless you have the NHT tax trailering package, you have the 9.5" axle.

Are you sure? Because i thought that until i seen this (picture below), and thats not the only add I've seen say that.

I went through the website you posted. But it didn't really say anything about the size the 6.2L came with, just the ratio

Source

http://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2015.html

A high-capacity 9.76-inch axle is matched with 6.2L-equipped models and is part of the available Max Trailering Package.

Source

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/129-1304-the-general-has-spoken-gms-latest-trucks/

Trucks equipped with the 6.2L V-8 are fitted with a new 9.76-inch rear axle.

Not trying to say your wrong just wanted some hard facts because I didn't think that my 3.42 ratio had the 9.76" but everything I have been reading tells me different

Edited by Antoine08

I would call the dealership but we all know I could get the most off the wall answer. So I'm hoping to get someone who actually knows, because I would like to move up to 3.73 or 4.10 gears and that obviously plays a big part.

Does anyone have the part number and price for GM 3.73 ring and pinion gear.

One thing that struck me odd is if you look at chevy.com or gmc.com and compare the same cab configuration 5.3 to 6.2 the weight is different. I'm not sure if this is due to more std equipment or that may indicated the 6.2 comes with the bigger 9.76 axle. Engine vs engine there shouldn't be any difference in weight as they are both all aluminum and physically the same size.

Hey guys i answered my own question. To all you 6.2L owners it is said by GMDirect that we have the larger 9.75" Axle. so if you have the 3.42 gears, the GM 3.73 can be a direct replacement. Part numbers are in the picture.

Looks like i will be upgrading to 3.73 gears soon, i know many of you think thats not a big enough swap but to me thats all i want.

Screen Shot 2014 11 11 At 7.30.14 AM

• Like 2

It will cost less than 1k. I love my 6.2L but i can't leave things alone i put a 2" leveling kit and 33" tires didn't really affect performance to much, but would like to get a little extra power. I will do the maintenance myself with a few buddies so only paying for parts and beer.

Edited by Antoine08