Which Axle 9.75 or 9.5

Nice find! I hadn't noticed that--it's kind of hard to see even with a lift, I found taking a pic with my phone easiest. I confirmed my 2014 6.2 3.42 also has 9.76" written on it.

Of course this brings up a couple more questions. If the only difference between the 9.76" and 9.50" really is just the ring and pinion, why did they feel the need to cast 9.76" into the housing? Can anybody with a 5.3 non-NHT confirm they have 9.50" cast into their housing? I know it would make no sense for it not to, but that's never stopped GM before....

Nice find! I hadn't noticed that--it's kind of hard to see even with a lift, I found taking a pic with my phone easiest. I confirmed my 2014 6.2 3.42 also has 9.76" written on it.

Of course this brings up a couple more questions. If the only difference between the 9.76" and 9.50" really is just the ring and pinion, why did they feel the need to cast 9.76" into the housing? Can anybody with a 5.3 non-NHT confirm they have 9.50" cast into their housing? I know it would make no sense for it not to, but that's never stopped GM before....

I have non max tow 5.3 with 9.50 on my housing.

I don't know specs by any means but the axle shafts and differential covers appear to be the same p/n between axles. I'll bet the pinion gear spacing is different for the larger ring gear needing a longer pinion snout.

I have non max tow 5.3 with 9.50 on my housing.

Thanks. We now have a confirmed easy way to tell them apart. I'm guessing since they went to the trouble of making different castings, the R&P are most likely not interchangeable so one will need to know for sure before buying gears.

• 1 month later...

The 14 and prior 6.2 came standard with 3.42 and the NHT came with 3.73 the 15 with the 8 speed come standard with 3.23 and the NHT comes with 3.42 and I'm guessing there all the 9.76 rear end

• 2 years later...

I know this post is a couple years old, but I thought I should add what my truck has to this. It's a 2013 Silverado 1500 cc 4x4 with the 6.2l code L9H and the NHT max tow package, 3.73 ratio, I noticed some of you posted a pic of the diff cover with 12 bolts, mine is a 14 bolt. Factory stock, bought it brand new. I can post a pic if anyone is still poking around on this conversation. let me know.

• 3 months later...
On 11/30/2017 at 3:14 PM, Sean Bourgeois said:

I know this post is a couple years old, but I thought I should add what my truck has to this. It's a 2013 Silverado 1500 cc 4x4 with the 6.2l code L9H and the NHT max tow package, 3.73 ratio, I noticed some of you posted a pic of the diff cover with 12 bolts, mine is a 14 bolt. Factory stock, bought it brand new. I can post a pic if anyone is still poking around on this conversation. let me know.

Not sure if you found an answer or any more info about the axle in your 2013, it's been a few months.

For 2014 there was a redesign of the axle. The new version of the 9.5 only has 12 bolts in the cover, and the previous versions were all 14 bolt. Parts are not directly interchangeable between the 12 and 14 bolt versions. I'm looking into upgrading my 2000 extended cab to a crew cab in the near future and have been researching the differences, also looking to make sure I end up with better towing capability as well. 

The only differences I can find between the 14 and up 9.5 and the 9.76 is the gears and the pinion bearings. I'm guessing the 9.76 uses larger diameter pinion bearings, leading the the different castings in the housings. I can't find all the bearing numbers to compare their sizes to verify for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2014 at 7:22 PM, Antoine08 said:

It will cost less than 1k. I love my 6.2L but i can't leave things alone i put a 2" leveling kit and 33" tires didn't really affect performance to much, but would like to get a little extra power. I will do the maintenance myself with a few buddies so only paying for parts and beer.

Dude I just had my truck front and rear regeared to 4.10s for 2100 out the door with 4wp...  call them they’ll run your bin and tell you that or pull yournVin with a parts rep at the dealership.

• 4 years later...