K&N intake install 5.3l

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious about the mileage, back in the day I put a K&N filter in my 96 Blazer from day 1. When I traded her in I gave the filter to a buddy who had the same year and he told me his mileage tanked after putting it in. I had no idea because I always ran mine with the K&N.

Sent from Windows Phone.

Nice! Thanks for the write up. I was thinking of going k&n but I think I might go with the airaid m.i.t. tube and keep the factory filter box, because I notice that when I wash truck, the water drops right on the air filter. Anyways nice intake.

thanks guys, as far as sound goes its a night and day difference. i was dissapointed at first i expected it to be louder when i first started it but when i got to driving around its a pretty big difference sounds amazing. when your coming up to speed (say youre on an on ramp to get to highway speed) it sounds great. fuel mileage did seem to improve at least 1 mpg and im still romping on it all the time just to hear it haha so i can update yall a little better when i calm down some

Any so called CAI that's open to engine bay is just a high volume intake that's now ingesting hot air which effect your IATs which lowers power. You May see a slight increase in MPG in the rpm range but no power increase at WOT unless you tune for the Increase of volume being ingested

Did this to my 012 Silverado 5.3. Cost me $300 to make a little noise on dropping the hammer.... nothing more. But hey.... we like what we like right? Good job posting pics for people to see who aren't wrench turners! Agree on CAI is a joke... unless you re-route an AC vent.. :rollin:

I have the same intake. It helped with the drone I'd sometimes get with my magnaflow dual exhaust. Plus it sounds really cool! Not sure how much horse power I'm getting but it definitely feels better then stock..

Drill a couple holes in the air box, ( before the filter) go to the hard ware store buy a couple rubber plugs the same size as the holes. Sometimes you want noise sometimes you don't. The little heat you draw in is about the same as the hood sealed cal. Save the couple hundred dollars for gas or toward headers where the real performance is.

Nice write up! I just ordered the K&N CAI with the dry filter. Everyone has their own opinion and experiences, I personally have had no issues with my past three K&N cold air intakes and I LOVE the sound you get out of them. This will be my first time with the dry filter but I still can't wait to hear her roar.

Archived