Leaking in seat belt area.

I have noticed the last couple of times we have had a steady rain I go to put my son in the car and the seat belt is soaking wet. A closer look reveals water dripping out the bottom half of the upper portion from where the seat

belt is stored. The carpet is not wet, and I cant figure out how the water is getting in. It's only happening on

the rear passenger seat behind the drivers seat. Anyone else having this issue?

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same issue with my 2015 Suburban LTZ. The left and right seat belts for the middle row are completely soaked after we get rain. I've taken it to the dealership twice now and they keep saying it's fixed...they said the drainage tube for the sun room was loose the first time. The 2nd time they thought it was just residual water but so they pulled the belt completely out and dried them. There must still be a leak somewhere because they got completely soaked after it rained yesterday. Anybody know what's going on?

Hey sdlMongo,

Sorry for the leaking concern in your 2015 Suburban! We're glad to hear you've made the dealership aware of this and that they're actively working to get this resolved for you. Please keep us posted and feel free to send a PM if you need any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Eddie A., my dealership doesn't know what the problem is. They thought it was the sunroof drainage tube but it's functioning as it should. They've tried to fix the leak twice now and admitted another customer has the same problem. They said they would contact GM but I haven't heard back yet. Do you have any idea what could be causing it? Thus has been going on for 6 weeks now and I'm concerned about damage that the water could be causing.

Darryl Z71 and j-ten-er, thanks for the idea about the break light. How did a leak that far back get to the seat belt in your middle row?

Darryl Z71 and j-ten-er, thanks for the idea about the break light. How did a leak that far back get to the seat belt in your middle row?

I just realized that we're in the Suburban forum. My bad. Sorry. I was referring to trucks.

But you never know. Water is going strange ways sometimes...wouldn't hurt to check on the brake light.

so long

j-ten-ner

Eddie A, just dropped my '15 Suburban back off at the dealership to look at the leak and wet seat belt issue for the 3rd time. The service rep at the dealership said again that he has another customer with the exact same issue on his '15 Suburban. He said he checked to see if there were any GM tech bulletins about the issue and he said there aren't any. As a GM Customer Service rep, cam you see how many other cases have been reported and whether there are any fixes for the problem? If not, what else can I do if the dealership can't fix this?

Falc677, do you still have this problem or were you able to get it fixed?

Eddie A, just dropped my '15 Suburban back off at the dealership to look at the leak and wet seat belt issue for the 3rd time. The service rep at the dealership said again that he has another customer with the exact same issue on his '15 Suburban. He said he checked to see if there were any GM tech bulletins about the issue and he said there aren't any. As a GM Customer Service rep, cam you see how many other cases have been reported and whether there are any fixes for the problem? If not, what else can I do if the dealership can't fix this?

Falc677, do you still have this problem or were you able to get it fixed?

Hi sdlMongo,

Thanks for the update. Again, I do apologize for the frustration and ongoing concern. I'd be happy to discuss this further with them and see about reaching out to our internal resources. Could you please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the involved dealership? Once I receive this information I'll be able to proceed. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

It's two issues.

Remove the torex bolt holding the Seat-belt to the floor put some sealer I use Ultra Black.

Then pull the door molding up and anywhere it lifts from the body put ultra black there to seal it.

Depending on how the seal closed it lets water under it sometimes.

The rest is weeping up the anchor bolt then it goes up the seat belt.

I learned the cause of this type of issues with my Colorado's

It's most likely the bolt. But my last Colorado it was both.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Surburban with less than 2500 miles with the same issue. The issue is on the rear seat on the drivers side - non bucket seats. The water is coming in from the roof area and then appearing on the side panel where the seat belt comes out of the quarter panel. It is collecting on panel and on the seat belt. If I were to hypothesize I would bet it is leaking from the roof rack (seal was not installed correctly or poor design) into that portion of the inner panel and then wicking into the seatbelt and pooling on the panel. We just had 3 inches of rain in Texas and if this is the type of leak that appears at less than 2500 miles I am not sure what to expect at 170K miles which is when we traded in our last Surburban...

Eddie A (GM Customer Care) - what is the fix and is there a technical service bulletin I should reference when I take it in??

I am taking it to the dealership on Thursday so I will let all know what they tell me.

Thanks

Tallan