Leaking in seat belt area.

I have a 2015 Surburban with less than 2500 miles with the same issue. The issue is on the rear seat on the drivers side - non bucket seats. The water is coming in from the roof area and then appearing on the side panel where the seat belt comes out of the quarter panel. It is collecting on panel and on the seat belt. If I were to hypothesize I would bet it is leaking from the roof rack (seal was not installed correctly or poor design) into that portion of the inner panel and then wicking into the seatbelt and pooling on the panel. We just had 3 inches of rain in Texas and if this is the type of leak that appears at less than 2500 miles I am not sure what to expect at 170K miles which is when we traded in our last Surburban...

Eddie A (GM Customer Care) - what is the fix and is there a technical service bulletin I should reference when I take it in??

I am taking it to the dealership on Thursday so I will let all know what they tell me.

Thanks

Tallan

Hey Tallan,

I received your message and have responded to you there. Please check at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

All,

Just got the Surburban back and found out that the roof rack mounting bolts on the drivers side were loose allowing water to wick into car.They tightened the bolts and tested (with water over roof) it with no issues...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If they can't figure out the leaking enact the lemon law... Our 2007 suburban has been leaking for years but it did not start until the warranty expired. Eventually it will grow mold and impact your health... If they do figure it out let us know so we can all fix it!!

Thanks!!

Nicki

• 2 months later...

I am also having a similar issue with my 2015 GMC Yukon, I have taken it to the dealership 3 times now. The last visit they replaced my roof rack, apparently those have caused problems for others, they have water tested at the dealership and can't replicate the problem. The leak in mine is around the seatbelt in the 3rd row behind the drivers seat. I will be taking it back to the dealership again to see if they can figure it out the forth time around. I have always noticed the leak when parked on an incline, not sure if that matters or not but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Wanted to see if there's been a permanent fix to this problem? With all the rain we have had in the Northeast the past couple of weeks it's wrecking havoc on the seatbelt. I had to change my daughters pants when I got her to school today because they were soaked from where the seatbelt was on her. I have to say overall I'm disappointed with the quality of the vehicle especially for the money we spent. I have had a rear defroster cable rip off the back window and the plastic around the radio rattles like crazy if it's cold in the car or the AC is on. They should use something that won't shrink and expand so much. This may be the last GM/Chevy vehicle I purchase.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi sdlMongo,

Thanks for the update. Again, I do apologize for the frustration and ongoing concern. I'd be happy to discuss this further with them and see about reaching out to our internal resources. Could you please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the involved dealership? Once I receive this information I'll be able to proceed. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the same issue. I have a friend with a 2016 Escalade with the same issue. It seems like a prevalent issue on these SUV's. The dealer is saying GM will not cover the cost to fix. It seems like a manufacturer defect and they should step up and fix it.

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the same issue. I have a friend with a 2016 Escalade with the same issue. It seems like a prevalent issue on these SUV's. The dealer is saying GM will not cover the cost to fix. It seems like a manufacturer defect and they should step up and fix it. It is obviously well known. I found this website with specific directions to the dealers on how to fix it. http://gm.oemdtc.com/3385/second-row-seat-belt-wet-andor-carpet-wet-near-the-c-pillar-area-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the same issue. I have a friend with a 2016 Escalade with the same issue. It seems like a prevalent issue on these SUV's. The dealer is saying GM will not cover the cost to fix. It seems like a manufacturer defect and they should step up and fix it. It is obviously well know as I found this website telling dealers how to fix it. http://gm.oemdtc.com/3385/second-row-seat-belt-wet-andor-carpet-wet-near-the-c-pillar-area-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We went through heavy rain today and my daughter told me water was coming in and her seat belt was getting soaked. I had noticed it several months ago that the seat belt was wet but I thought my kids somehow spilled their water or were plaing with their water bottles. Now I realize there is an issue. I am scheduling an appointment for Monday. We have about 3000 miles until our warranty runs out. I am worried they will not be able to fix it right the first time. Ours is on the driver's side middle row seatbelt. Did anyone correct their issue without further complication so I may point them in the right direction?

• 11 months later...

I just bought a 2018 Yukon XL 4 days ago and tonight I noticed the driver side seat belt is soaking wet. After reading all the other complaints on the same issue, with no real resolution, I’m just sick to my stomach. Is there anyway to demand a different car? I don’t want to be dealing with an ongoing water leaking issue and potential mold. 

Edited by Justis
To change the notification option.

• 3 months later...

Our 2015 Suburban has done the same thing. We do not have a sun roof. We took it to the dealership while under warranty and they said there was no problem and I had probably left the door or window cracked. Really regret buying the first year of new body style. We’ve had multiple electronic issues also.