Possible Brake Issue

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think they have a belt driven vacuum pump on the gas engines starting in 2014. It has it's own belt I think. Maybe if it got wet if slipped for a bit? It's down low on engine.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Dec/1213_ecotec3-engines.html

"All engines feature an engine-driven mechanical vacuum pump to enhance braking performance"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think they have a belt driven vacuum pump on the gas engines starting in 2014. It has it's own belt I think. Maybe if it got wet if slipped for a bit? It's down low on engine.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Dec/1213_ecotec3-engines.html

"All engines feature an engine-driven mechanical vacuum pump to enhance braking performance"

Enhancing brake performance my butt...

Haha. If this is the cause then I declare it a bad idea. Put it higher on the engine or have better water protection! Will be at the dealer tomorrow to see what they say and find.

Enhancing brake performance my butt...

Haha. If this is the cause then I declare it a bad idea. Put it higher on the engine or have better water protection! Will be at the dealer tomorrow to see what they say and find.

Not saying it's whats wrong. Just throwing ideas out there. I gotta look mine over some time. It's mounted on the lower left side of engine. Your problem could be anything, bad pump,bad booster, electronics, abs system, you name it. You sure it was not the abs just keeping you out of a skid?

I'm still new to a lot of the things under the hood. Just how bad exactly would an issue with the vaccuum system be? Your saying "hope this isn't a recurring problem" makes me wonder and worry about just how bad this is since it has to do with the brake system. Would rather not have any kind of problem with that system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I apologize if I made you worry. The only part of the vacuum system that is related to the brakes is the brake booster and attaching hose. If there were any problems there you would know it because it would feel like manual brakes all the time, as in really stiff brake pedal. This is an extremely low failure rate part from what I researched on-line.

As far as my earlier post it must have been just wet brakes for me as well when I have ran into this type of brake issue.

At the dealership. They said earliest they could take it is Monday. I told them that was a no go. They are looking for a rental car for me to use until they can look over the entire brake system. Told them I won't be taking the truck back until they do that. Just don't want this to happen again especially while traveling on interstate or going into a Uturn, red light, or off ramp. All would possibly spell disaster.

• 1 month later...

On these 14 and later models do you still get a pulsing pedal that indicates that when the antilock brakes are working when the wheels are slipping? My 2009 Sierra had the pulsing pedal. Just wondering if the OP might have unknowingly hit a patch of something slippery oil or spilled fuel etc on the highway and the stabiltrac system did this?

On these 14 and later models do you still get a pulsing pedal that indicates that when the antilock brakes are working when the wheels are slipping? My 2009 Sierra had the pulsing pedal. Just wondering if the OP might have unknowingly hit a patch of something slippery oil or spilled fuel etc on the highway and the stabiltrac system did this?

They do pulse but not nearly as intense as some other vehicles I've driven.

But would the stabilitrac really over ride brake input by the driver? I always thought that the system was meant brake slipping wheels while the driver steered into the direction they want to go while applying light acceleration.

It just makes no sense the system would take complete control of the brake system. If I'm in a skid and dumb enough to lock up the brakes, they they better lock up.

I'm thinking the "hill decent mode" may have kicked in and somehow that system interfered with manual application of brakes????

Make sure the dealer puts down exactly what the problem is on the invoice, to your satisfaction. That invoice will mean everything if something bad happens later.

I think it's time our GM Customer Service members jump in on this one.

I'm thinking the "hill decent mode" may have kicked in and somehow that system interfered with manual application of brakes????

Make sure the dealer puts down exactly what the problem is on the invoice, to your satisfaction. That invoice will mean everything if something bad happens later.

I think it's time our GM Customer Service members jump in on this one.

I never thought of this possibility. It is possible as I was going slithy downhill but nothing drastic. But I would still think that it would just reduce brake power and not stop you from applying it all together.

If the driver applies the brakes when HDC is active, it is supposed reduce the HDC set speed.

This goes with what I am saying about the HDC now that Sppurshot has mentioned it. But only thing is that the "set speed" was not reduced, it was stopped all together. I am going to be going up and down a few of the hillier streets of New Orleans later tonight and I will try the HDC if I get a chance. That way I can see how that feels

I never thought of this possibility. It is possible as I was going slithy downhill but nothing drastic. But I would still think that it would just reduce brake power and not stop you from applying it all together.

This goes with what I am saying about the HDC now that Sppurshot has mentioned it. But only thing is that the "set speed" was not reduced, it was stopped all together. I am going to be going up and down a few of the hillier streets of New Orleans later tonight and I will try the HDC if I get a chance. That way I can see how that feels

I would think, HDC would be designed to not interfere with normal manual braking. But if something is restricting pedal movement and braking, I'd look at all the autonomous systems hooked to the braking system. These trucks have some form of data recorder. If you are able to replicate it, take it to the dealer promptly for their reference.

Jeeze ... be careful with this problem. Maybe time for a dashcam?

I would think, HDC would be designed to not interfere with normal manual braking. But if something is restricting pedal movement and braking, I'd look at all the autonomous systems hooked to the braking system. These trucks have some form of data recorder. If you are able to replicate it, take it to the dealer promptly for their reference.

Jeeze ... be careful with this problem. Maybe time for a dashcam?

I've been thinking very long and hard about a dash cam since the day this happen, and with all the terrible drivers around here, wouldn't be a bad idea. Could be a good investment

EDIT: I tried out the HDC last night when driving down a small ramp leaving the parking lot at my work/family's business. HDC didn't reduce my braking at all that I could notice, will try it again when I go back to school and I can try it in the school's parking lot

HDC can maintain vehicle speeds

between 3 and 22 km/h (2 and

14 mph) on an incline greater than

or equal to a 10% grade. A blinking

HDC light indicates the system is

actively applying the brakes to

maintain vehicle speed.

When HDC is activated, the initial

HDC speed is set to the current

driving speed. It can be increased or

decreased by applying the

accelerator or brake pedal. This

adjusted speed becomes the new

set speed.

• 2 years later...

Was there ever anything figured out with this? My truck did this this morning on my way into work. I didn't go through a puddle, but it was wet and misty out. My truck is a 2016 LTZ with 33,000 miles. Went to pull into my parking spot and my brake was stiff and couls barely slow it down. Turned truck off and back on and was still the same. Opened the hood and checked oil level and took cap off and put back on. Seemed to work then.

Called dealership immediately and took it in. They just called me back and said they can't find anything wrong but acknowledged that there was a bulletin out and my truck didn't have any of the symptoms/causes that the bulletin says to look for. So, they can't do anything about it until it happens again. Great, so next time when it happens and I get into an accident and I'm dead (and I'm out of warranty)...then what? I understand you need some sort of proof because some people like to make stuff up to get free stuff under warranty...but this scares me now and I'm going to be thinking about it every time I drive it! This is the first time I have had this truck in for problems...so it has been nice since I came from a RAM that seemed to have quite a few issues (but always got fixed).

Archived